The First Step

Have you ever imagined seeing the Earth in such a light where you feel on top of the world? As you shakily take that first step of life, you hear the crunch of a bird’s nest beneath you. You may not know what to think; what to feel. But a golden door has opened wide for you to leap through – it is called birth.
The sun may hurt your eyes at first. You squint a little, hoping to make out a picture of this magnificent thing in the sky. You see the energy radiating – pulsing from its core. Awestruck, you begin to absorb the atmosphere around you, staring in wonder at the stunning beauty of the rolling mountains, the azure sky, and the sparkling ocean.
You then discover these soft, fresh looking wings attached to your delicate body. You wiggle them slightly, nudging the rim of the nest; then slowly stretch them to admire your wingspan. You may come to feel this new, vibrant energy, ready to propel you forward into your newly formed opportunities, ready to grasp them for dear life.
You may come to feel this new, vibrant energy, ready to propel you forward into your newly formed opportunities, ready to grasp them for dear life.
You may even begin to contemplate what may be below this point of height, or if your wings actually served any purpose. But deep inside you is a little voice, telling you to reach your goal, to explore these surroundings.
All it takes is a small hop, and you are on the edge of your nest, looking down into the sea of life at the bottom of the forest.
Next thing you know, an invisible force is pulling you down faster and faster. You may feel this strange tingling feeling in your stomach as you fall. Meanwhile, as you’re feeling the rush of air push past you, instinct kicks in.
Spreading out your wings yet again, you begin to beat them a thousand times a second. You realise that it doesn’t seem to work. Running out of space between you and the ground, something ‘clicks’ and you begin to move your wings in a more steady, rhythmic beat. A rush of relief overwhelms you as your tiny body slowly descends to the ground.
You start to shake off your worries then look up towards the blazing sun. You notice that everything you looked down upon seems much bigger and seeing it up close gives you a wonderful sense of achievement.
Feeling this new rush of independence, you decide to choose a random direction. Not because you don’t know which path any particular direction will take you, but because you couldn’t care less. Your mind is only set on creating your own path, and leaving a trail for others to follow. No matter what journey you are in store of, it always begins with the first step.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!