Eight Three Eight

Its eight sixteen as we pull away from the curb at the final bus stop. The last bunch of kids have just climbed on and taken their usual seats. No one ever sits out of place, because it’s become almost like routine to aboard the bus and take your seat next to your person, like you’ve been assigned a partner for every bus trip. Today is not out of the ordinary; no one has broken the silent understanding of the seating plan.
My friend and I exchange holiday plans and somehow, in between all our family getaways and working schedule, manage to organise plenty of dates to hang out. And then, when there are no more events to plan, boys to crush on, and girls to rant about we slip our earphones into our ears and let the music blast into our eardrums. It’s deafening, but in a good way, it shuts out every other conversation going on around me. It’s peaceful in a way because it means I don’t have to think. My lips run with the lyrics and the lyrics run my mind wild.
Its eight twenty two and my eyelids are heavy. We’re barely out of town and I’m already struggling to stay awake. I’ve had late nights every day this week and now time is finally catching up with me. At this rate, I’ll be dead to the world by 2nd period at least. I may even be sleepwalking when I’m stepping off the bus.
Its eight thirty seven, my eyes are readjusting to the bright morning sun after a little nap leaving me feeling a little more capable of lasting the day with my eyes open. Still not all that close to school, I sit up in my seat, fidget around a little, and then settle down til I’m comfortable again. I glance to the clock and the digital numbers flick from thirty seven to thirty eight. That means twenty two minutes until the bell will go, and everyone in the school will move off to their first period of classes for the last day of term. Maths for me which meant I was in no hurry to get to school on time. I put the thought out of my mind and nestled into my friends arm for another quick snooze before school.
The road to school is so familiar, every turn, every speed zone, I know them all too well. But this morning we take one bend unusually fast. My eyes snap open and I scan the bus to see if anyone else has noticed the sudden increase in speed. Before I get the chance the bus jerks forward alarmingly and flies full throttle towards the trunk of a Red Gum.
Time has stopped, it’s frozen, motionless. My eyes shutter open; it’s all a blur. My best friend lies lifeless next to me, my eyes flicker to the clocks flashing digits. My body stops responding, and my mind shuts down.
Time of death 8:38am.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!