A Dark Mission

Pherno gazed grimly at the surrounding darkness of the streets. The damp, repressive environment closed in on all sides, igniting a primal fear inside of him, one he could not explain.

But, the dark, brooding city was not going to stop him from completing his mission, assigned to him by the Dark Bishop himself. Although, Pherno reflected, the group of men with knives approaching him just might. The men fanned out and surrounded him, making their intentions clear. Pherno laughed, “Do you really think you can stop me? I thought you Church thugs were smarter than that.” The thugs grew agitated and began whispering amongst themselves. Finally one took a step forward. “Silence, shadow-kissing infidel! This is OUR town, and no dark servant will soil it!”

With this, he brandished his knife and leapt towards Pherno, the other five men in tow. Grinning at the ruffian’s ignorance, he pivoted on the spot and jerked to the side, letting the head thug fly past him into one of his companions. Holding up his hand, Pherno sent another one flying across the cobbled street with a blast of magic.

The other brutes wavered when they saw he could use magic, but this only lasted until the ringleader shouted “What are you waiting for, get him!” as he clambered to his feet. The would-be killers attacked again, but Pherno held up both his arms, palms forward, and sent them flying into the nearest house with magic.

Pherno turned to deal with the leader, and the ringleader threw a ball of pulsing light at Pherno, which he dodged easily. Pathetic Church-trained mages, Pherno though contemptuously as he sent a spear of flames lancing through the Church-mages’ chest. “You should be careful, heartburn can be fatal, they say.” Pherno cackled.

Pherno turned back to the thugs and, smiling evilly, Pherno began raising his arms slowly, and the five remaining thugs slid up the wall. He crooked his fingers and the men cried out in pain. “Now,” Pherno said merrily, straightening his fingers, “Who had the audacity to send you?”

“We will never-“ Began one of them, but he was cut off in a whimper as Pherno tightened his grip again. This was going to be fun.

Abruptly he was sent flying across the street by magic, in shock. Pherno looked up, dazed, to see the mage rising to his feet, the wound in his chest healing rapidly. “There are benefits to being faithful.” The assassin said, smugly.

“Is that so?” Pherno laughed, and flung his hands forward, sending a giant discharge of flames at the ringleader. When the flames cleared, only a large scorch-mark remained of the mage. “Is doing that one of them?”

“Now,” he continued triumphantly as he turned back to the terrified thugs, “Where were we?”

…………

Pherno gazed complacently at the shredded, charred corpses of the ruffians. They had not told him the information. Oh well, he could always find out later. Besides, he had a job to do.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!