HAUNTED HOUSE

Josh shook with fear. He had lost the bet, and now had to go into the Haunted House.

He stepped into the driveway. As he stepped in, the gate unexpectedly shut behind him. His heart nearly stopped.

“Why did I make that stupid bet?” thought Josh.

It was rumoured that the old lady who had lived there, had one night died with no explanation. Since then, no-one dared step into the house.

An owl hooted above. “Better get moving,” Josh thought.

Taking a deep breath, he walked down the drive way. As he put his hand on the door, it flew open. Josh thought for a second that his heart had stopped. But he was not a wimp, he had faced many other scary things and he was not going to give up on this.

Josh stepped inside. It was completely black. He could hear tick, tock, tick, tock. It must have been an old clock. Josh pulled out some matches. As he did, a radio suddenly turned on. He lit a match and was startled by a moose head on the wall. Looking around, he saw a staircase. Quietly, he tiptoed over to the stairs. Many were broken. Carefully, he climbed the stairs. There at the top was a motionless dog. Was it dead? He stepped around the dog who eyed him carefully.

Josh looked in every room with interest. Each room made his skin tingle especially the bedroom with a broken window, a doll with one eye, and a knife with blood. Maybe this was the room where the old lady had died. Josh quickly retreated out of the room. This place was starting to scare him - a lot! Suddenly a cuckoo clock chimed midnight. Behind him, an old lady mysteriously appeared.

“Who are you?” the old lady questioned.

“Jo...Jo...Josh Simpson madam,” he replied in fright.

“Well Josh, welcome to my home, please feel free to pat Clyde,” she said pointing to the dog.

“So are you the old lady who died here?” Josh asked politely.

“No dear, that was my mother,” she explained glancing down, “and since then you are the first person to come into my home.”

“What is your name, may I ask?” Josh asked quietly.

“Mrs Mary Motherway, but you can call me Mary,” she replied.

“So if this isn’t a haunted house, what about the gate, the door and the radio?” Josh enquired.

“Oh,” she sighed, “this house has always been in a state of disrepair but it’s difficult to get anyone to come here.”

“You should probably get home,” she said pointing towards the door. Josh nodded, taking a few steps towards the door.

“Um, Mary,” he whispered, turning to say goodbye, “Could I visit you aga…..” He stopped. Mary had disappeared. He peered inside the door but there was no sign of her. With an eerie feeling, he left the house.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!