Olympic Legend

I am excited but scared. My family and friends have came all this way to Brazil to watch my biggest dream hopefully come true. There are thousands of people, crowds trampling around like wild animals. One of my main worries is that I won’t make it in time for the race. I don’t know why I’m scared! The race will be over in under twenty seconds!
The next thing I know I hear the call for the one hundred metre sprint. I slowly walk to the the starting line and start stretching. The other Olympians look so fast! Then we all go to the starting line. Next I hear “READY... SET...” and ”BANG!!!” The gun goes off.
I think I got a really good start, and the next thing I know I’m in the lead! Now the finish line is only a few metres away!
Oh no! Ouch! I’ve fallen! How could this happen? As I watched, the winner passed the finish line. My heart sank; my dreams were shattered into a million pieces! As I got up tear drops slithered ever so slowly down my cheeks. I thought all the training and hard work would pay off but NO!
As I was walking out of the arena, broken heart and all, a tall man in a fancy suit came up to me. He said hello and started talking. He said “I believe your name is Kate O’Connor?” “Yes” I answered. Then he began to tell me that I was such a great runner. I was confused - I mean I failed the race. Then I realised what he was saying. He said by some calculations I would have finished the race in 5.23 seconds!
My heart nearly popped right out! He said that if my mum said it was okay, that he will give me personal training and a promotion! I could not believe that! My only dream had just come true. I am practically an Olympic Legend!

By Laura Maher, 11 years old, Grade 5, Penrith Christian School.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!