Under My Bed


“Good night, Nicholas.”

Thump. Thump. What was that? There it is again but louder. I decide to ignore it until...

Thump. Thump. Scratch. So loud that it makes me jump. I sit straight up in bed, eyes wide open. This is actually starting to creep me out– suddenly I’m not so tired any more.

It seems to be coming from underneath my bed. I gulp and lean a bit closer to the floor. I think I hear breathing! Heavy panting, in and out. Whatever’s down there is alive, but what is it?

It’s probably an evil demon that eats people’s brains, especially those of 12 year old boys like me! Or a little green alien that wants to take me back to its spaceship for DNA testing!

I’m probably over-exaggerating but what if it’s true? What if it’s an old, smelly sock of mine or maybe one of my little sister’s Barbie dolls? Hopefully it’s just something harmless, like a teddy bear (not that I own any- ok maybe a couple, please don’t tell any one!).

I decide that I’m going to approach this with caution. I’m going to look carefully so I don’t get hurt. When I say this, I mean it. I’m not one of those people who put stuff off because they’re a bit (or a lot) scared. You probably think that I’m stalling. Gee, thanks for having faith in me! I’ll prove you wrong by seriously doing it... right now…better check the time first.

10:01pm. This thing has kept me up for over an hour! Ok, time to put a stop to it. I’m really going to look. Not just for me but for every kid who has ever been troubled by a bump in the night. Although, you’d have to think how devastated every one would be if this monster did get the better of me but at least I would die a hero, right?

Thump. Scratch. Another noise from the monster. My face is inches away from the floor. I can hear the creature’s breathing, louder and smellier than ever. Ok, one….two…thr- ROAR!

The monster knocks me onto the floor. I can’t see very well in the dark but I notice that it has sharp teeth, floppy ears and…a wet nose? Wait a second…

The monster licks my face. Hey! Monsters don’t lick. I take a proper look at my attacker to realise that it’s just my dog, Scamper. Oops. Some ‘scary monster’ that turned out to be. He looks at me then runs out the door.

I wipe his slobber from my cheek and get back in bed, letting out a huge sigh of relief. Silly me, what was I thinking? I close my eyes, finally ready for sleep.

Thump. Thump.

Not again! I peer under the bed. Nothing there or at the door.

Thump. Thump. That’s when I realise that some one or some thing is in my cupboard- and I’m going to find out what!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!