Jamal

Jamal falls. For a few seconds, there’s silence, darkness. Then the screams start. I burrow further under my red doona, hoping the lights don’t turn on. Hoping it’s not as loud as I think it is. Hope is all I have. The lights flicker. I try to be asleep, to look innocent.
The emergency room is scarier than last time. It’s as if all eyes are pointing at me, screaming and accusing.
I thought revenge would feel sweeter. I thought that for all my suffering I would have something to show. I didn’t mean to hurt Jamal like this. I want him to learn his lesson.
Ever since I was 3, Jamal has climbed downstairs to my bedroom, to my special place. He has climbed up the ladder and onto me, while I was sleeping.
Every night.
Every single night for the past nine years. That is why I tried to stop him.
I only gave him a little nudge, obviously enough though, to send him hurtling to the floor. I think something was telling me not to do it. But I didn’t listen.

The doctor comes in. He calls us in. I stay, stuck to my seat. I can’t do it. I don’t want to see him. I don’t want them to know what I did.
I run - out the door. My mum calls after me. I can feel my heart beating, louder than I have ever heard it. But I still run - into the darkness.
Into the night…

I finally find the spare key. My fingers shake uncontrollably as I try to wedge it into the keyhole. The keyhole is the only thing between me and making it to safety.
I sprint into the house and turn on lights blindly. I can’t see through my tears. My fingers find their way around the house, to my bedroom.
Ouch! I feel my toe. It’s wet. I lick my salty finger, but I don’t stop. I carefully find the first step. I forgot to turn the light on at the top of the flight of stairs. I now have a choice. I can risk going up the stairs again in the dark, or I can keep going towards my ladder.
I decide to try and find the ladder.
I reach out. I hear a sound. Not a big clunk or anything, but just a little, timid noise coming from the kitchen.
I see a sliver of light coming from behind me. I try to hide but I stumble. I see everything at once. Jamal, all bandaged. Mum, with him. The last thing I see before I fall asleep on the ground is a little trickle of red coming from my ankle.
Today, Mum has given us both the day off school, to catch up on sleep. I love days like this.
I am about to play a joke on Jamal, when something tells me not to.
I listen.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!