Terror In The Castle

Emily McStevens was a young girl, of 13 with long golden locks, hazel eyes and a scattering of freckles across her nose. Every afternoon Emily would stroll around a nearby abandoned castle to venture and play. Emily’s mother had always warned her not to play around the castle, but Emily was as stubborn as a mule. Ms McStevens would scare her with legends of the castle. One legend she would tell her daughter was of a tall man with eyes as dark as night.” He wears a tattered cloak and if you got close enough to him, he steals your heart” Mrs McStevens would warn her daughter. Emily couldn’t think of this foul ghostly creature without shaking.

That afternoon, Emily raced with her friend Jeremiah to the old castle. When they arrived they sat down in the long grass and shared their treats. This was the first time Jeremiah had been to the castle. When they finished their feast they skipped around the castle without thought of time. The sun was setting as the day fell. “Should we go home for supper?” Jeremiah whined. ”I am getting awfully tired and my mother is roasting a chicken tonight”. Jeremiah’s mouth was watering now. “No, let’s just play” Emily insisted.

They kept playing; suddenly a large shadow fell across the castle wall. Jeremiah screamed, dropping down to the floor. Emily felt a shiver down her spine; she picked up a long pointy branch and crept slowly to the castle wall, stalking the mysterious shadow. Suddenly a figure jumped out. The figure had eyes as dark as the night sky and was wearing tattered clothing. He smelt of rotten fish and appeared disgustingly dirty. He was as tall as a tree and his bones protruded on his thin frame. Emily couldn’t help thinking of the story her mother had told. Emily and Jeremiah were terrified as they ran to Mrs McStevens’s house.

Emily explained her terrifying experience to her mother, who burst into laughter. Emily and Jeremiah didn’t understand why Mrs McStevens was laughing. “You might wish you had met the ghost of the castle” Mrs McStevens teased, “that was the care taker”. Emily and Jeremiah looked at each other as a slight smile ran across their faces. “Mr McCloud is as mean as a grizzly.´ Ms McStevens explained. After that day Emily decided to play at home instead of the castle.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!