A Chimps Last Chance


I sat there staring at the helpless chimp swaying his arms for freedom. It’s black fur overtaken by crawling fleas. His wound was infected and his eyes sparkled with innocence. The wooden crate he was in, started to shake. The chimp rocked from side to side and screamed for help. All I could do was sit there feeling like a bystander. He licked his wound with big, brown eyes staring into mine. I felt like crying.

The truck drifted off in the clearing with the chimp. My tears dripped off my face and onto the dirt road. The trees shook in the wind and the blue sky turned grey. “Come on Rose, it’s starting to rain.” Mum called. I raced towards the car and half way there I turned back and looked at the truck driving off.

The rain started to get heavier. I looked outside my window in the car and saw little monkeys swinging from tree to tree and parrots with bright colors flying high. We followed the truck and when I looked at the back of the truck I saw the chimp. He looked really depressed.

We reached the African zoo later than the truck. I raced for the vet clinic and noticed the chimp. His long arms banged in the crate. His teeth bared and his face was full of rage. I stared into his eyes, thinking ‘poor chimp’

All I could do was stand there. His wound was more infected and he trembled with fear. I was sent outside as the chimp was in surgery. I had a tear in my eye as I walked off, what have I done, I though.

He swayed his legs in the treetops, climbed from branch to branch and wrestled with the other chimps. The chimp was sure healing and I visited him each day. We had a special bond. I always patted him and even I could hold him by now. Even though he was wild, I trusted him because he’s like my…brother.

Mum and I always felt bad that we ran him over although we did do it by accident. He always looked sad and lonely, even though he had me. So the zookeepers got a female chimp named Posh; therefore he’s not lonely.

His heart pounded and his eyes glittered with joy. The chimp I named Tom climbed off my shoulder and on to a tree. “You have a special bond with him Rose.” Mum called out. She works here anyway so that makes extra time I could be with Tom. It would be really hard to leave him though.

Today Tom was going to be let free. We drove towards the jungle and hopped out of the car. Tom climbed out with Posh, his mate, holding hands. I picked up Tom and hugged and kissed him. He looked into my eyes and when I looked into his, I started to cry. Then he clung his arms to a branch with Posh behind him. I cried as he left and said “Bye Tom, I’ll miss you.”






FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!