The First Invasion

I am sitting in my room looking sadly out the window. The rain continued to pour down on our little country town. I had just come home from school, being kept in late by a detention which wasn’t my fault. I was in my soft sofa chair and was reading a book until I got bored of it. I am now, somehow, being more amused by the rain rather than the book I was reading. Out under a bus shelter near a dim streetlight a homeless person tried to get to sleep on his hard bench and newspaper pillow. I felt pity for him. My eyes swept my surroundings, a little girl was running after her Dad until she tripped and fell in the middle of the road. He turned around and pulled up the teary girl angrily and began to shove her across the road and back into the darkness on the other side of the road. Further down the road a woman in a business suit with a heap of important papers in one hand and a broken umbrella in the other nearly dropped everything as a speeding car zoomed past, spraying water over her and her important looking papers. She stormed, frustrated, across the road and she too sank back into the darkness on the other side of the road. I made my eyes look towards the park. The groundsman went along in a long raincoat picking up rubbish with a sharp metal pole and shoving it in a wet bin bag. I looked at my clock, 6:49pm. I had lost half of my day being in detention. I looked back to the park to see a bright light appear over the groundsman. A large ray of green light and some quick flashes and the groundsman was nowhere to be seen. I must have watched the terrible scene for at least ten minutes. I kept staring at the spot I had last seen the groundsman. I rubbed my eyes having not blinked for a few minutes. I looked back at my clock, 6:47pm. What? I rubbed my eyes and looked again. Yep, 6:47pm! How can it have gone back in time from 6:49 to 6:47pm? I shook my head and tried to cast my gaze anywhere but the park. I looked towards the town square where the fountain was still spurting water. Suddenly the same green ray of light appeared over the fountain and it happened again. A ray of light and a few quick flashes and I looked back at the fountain to find it turned off and dried up. I tried not to look at the clock but curiosity got the best of me. 6:45pm.
How can that happen; that’s not possible, right? I thought. I stood up and put my hands on the glass of the window. I began to look everywhere. The park, the town square, down the road and over the roofs of the other houses. That was when I saw them. Aliens! Everywhere! On the roofs of the houses and all over the road, in the park and in the town square. What should I do? Or what could I do? There was nothing I could do but watch. Watch the first every invasion take place and wait for myself to be taken away with everyone else.


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!