Jane's Beach

Jane ruffled through her drawer for her light blue bikini, almost falling over her thongs as the 14 year old eagerly rushed down stairs. "Mum, I’m heading down to catch the surf" she said, grabbing her board and cutting off her mum as she raced out the door. Jane's house, a beachy one, was parked right on the beach and was close to all the best surf shops. "Ow ow ow!" Jane endured the blistering pain of the hot sand as she headed towards the shore. She released her golden locks from the tight bun she had her hair in from school; it spilled upon her tanned skin. Jane sunk her feet into the soft dry sand and let them drown in its warmth; she was one with beach. Jane grabbed her board and paddled vigorously to compete with the waves and eventually managed to stay afloat on her board and stand upright as the waves grew stronger and stronger. She had nothing against the beach, not the sometimes overpopulated crowds, not the occasional sweltering heat, not the thunderous storms, nor its unforgiving nature. CRASH, BASH, BANG bellowed the waves as Jane took an unwanted gulp full of salty water and tried to rinse it from her now red and misty eyes. She wasn't comfortable at all; she was panicking. "Oh no a rip!" It was strangling her, she felt like she was choking in an environment she could not escape. The rip took such a strong hold on her that she was pulled out into the ocean and found herself drifting far away from shore. A while passed as Jane remained afloat, knowing what should be done in the case of a rip current, and eventually saw a red and yellow blur in the distance. A sigh of relief shot through her, "Is that..? Thank god" An angel wearing a bright yellow t-shirt and a red cap approached her and she suddenly felt relaxed, closing her eyes after a tireless wrestle with the waves. "Are you hurt?" The life guard wretched her from her daze and forcefully pulled her onto his board even before she could answer. "Yeah, I’m fine" The sea had weakened her and she collapsed onto the life guard just to hold herself up. On the way back to shore, tiny splashes of water brushed past her face.

"Another successful ride" she said jokingly as she dragged herself back to the sand. The weather had settled down now and slowly, she began to gather her things, thank the life guard and head back home through the crisp air. The ocean let out a sigh as Jane departed the beach; almost as if it was a part of her, and she was a part of it; like a child belongs to its mother. Upstairs in her room, Jane ruffled through her drawer and found her pajamas and lay in bed, analyzing her wrinkled hands and feet.
Her eyes were still red and misty.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!