Father Come Home

I stared at the thick iron bars. I also stared at the tiny picture on my wall. After my father joined the army, I entered depression. I spent my pocket money on buying a large cage. The expensive part was getting them to make it stronger and more convincing as a jail cell. The man in the store looked at me like I was crazy. And I am, about my dad. I did it to make sure that my fears couldn’t leave this cage, like I couldn’t.

Since my dad set off I have been feeling invisible, like there’s no reason why I should be allowed to live anymore, like there’s this game of table tennis going on inside my head. I have a weird feeling of loneliness in my stomach like a bullet has shot through the middle of my heart, and in the distance I saw my father crouched down holding his rifle aimed directly at me.
Sometimes I sleep-talk about war. How I feel about it. My father felt it was best not to tell me about it in case I got nightmares.



I awoke after a sleepless night. The scrappy bed I found at the dump had a broken spring that stuck out. It slouched inwards and the wood underneath had fallen apart. It kept me tossing all night. It was chilly and I guessed it was about 4am. I just stared at the ceiling and thought.

The next day, my mother Teresa came into my cell. She handed me an envelope. I took it and turned away. I felt her pain. Her face was hurt. She had long brown hair, messily tied up in a bun. Her lipstick imprinted on her teeth. Her eyes were red from tissues and wet with tears.
I opened the envelope that was addressed to Keilyn Roberts. The note read out…

Dear Keilyn,
My girl. I’m sorry for leaving. I have hurt you, I know, but it’s best for the country. Please forgive me. You are such a special girl and you deserve the best.

Just remember the last time I held you in my arms. Remember the last time you sat on my lap. Remember me, don’t forget. Live with me. If I don’t return, I will return in your heart. I love you forever.

Your Papa

I let my tears fall. Smudging the beautiful handwriting written from his soul. My father was a good man. He volunteered to go to war, he chose to.

Later that night, I couldn’t sleep. The wind was howling like a wolf. It thumped against the roof heavily. I tossed over and stared at the barred ceiling of my cage.


“I am worried about her,” my mother cried distantly. “She locked herself up. It’s terrible.” I heard a blabber of muffled noises from the other caller.
“Send a therapist, someone!” Mother pleaded. She hangs up.

I was worried about dad. My psychic ability tells me he isn’t going to survive.

After three months

Same cage. Same expression. I hear a knock at the door. A few murmurs, nothing much. Someone knocks on my door, enters the room and says,
“Hi Keilyn.”
I open the cage and leap into his arm. I sit on Papa’s lap and don’t move. I don’t care that my father has one arm. I just have my father. He doesn’t question the cage and I don’t question his arm. I’ll never trust my psychic abilities again!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!