Kindness Rekindled

Beep! Beep! Beep!

Doug Robinson’s hand came down hard on the steering wheel of his second-hand Toyota Corolla. Bored, Doug turned on the radio and was hit with a shrill female voice.

“Unemployment levels have risen by --”

Doug instantly punched a button on the dashboard to cease the news. A green beam of light brought much needed joy into his life, as he was finally permitted to go. In the distance, Doug noticed a person on the side of the road. He pulled over near the distressed figure and her shiny companion.

“My car’s got a flat tyre. Can you fix it?” the old woman asked, pointing to her Ford Focus.

“Sure, but only if you show kindness to a stranger,” Doug answered.

The woman cheerfully agreed.

After finishing, Doug resumed his journey to work. Upon arriving at work his attention was diverted towards a man, who needed to cross the road. Doug escorted him happily.

“Thank you. Were you going somewhere?” the man asked.

“I was on my way to work. It’s across the road,” Doug responded, pointing to a grey dilapidated building.

“Oh! Marsdens Corporate Agency. I worked there before I opened my own branch. How’s it going?” the man queried.

“Not too good, actually,” Doug said, exchanging his business card with the man, before saying goodbye.

Upon entering the building, Doug thought his boss should know of his good deeds. He strode into his boss’ office.

“Doug! I take it you want to talk about your dismissal?” Doug’s boss sighed.

“Dismissal? Pardon,” interjected Doug.

“Didn’t you read the letter on your desk?” Doug’s boss questioned.

Underperforming. Recession. Dismiss.

These words echoed in his head as he walked out of his boss’ office. On his desk, Doug found all his possessions neatly packed in a cardboard box. Picking up the box of memories, he left.

********

Not far away, Patty sat in a café, enjoying her freshly brewed cup of coffee. She was thinking of the gentleman who had fixed her car when her thoughts were interrupted.

“Hi Ma’am. Your bill comes to $4.50,” the waitress announced.

Patty held out a $10 bill.

“I’ll be right back with the change,” the waitress mumbled.

Patty had immediately noticed the waitress’ dark eye bags and her bulging stomach.

The waitress returned to find four $100 bills under an empty coffee cup and the absence of her only customer. Her face lit up as she pocketed the money and cleared the table.

********

Melissa returned home and turned on the answering machine.

“Hi Doug. This is Thomas Finchett. We met earlier today. I have a good business opportunity. Please ring my secretary for more details. Thanks”.

“You have no more messages”.

Melissa headed towards the bedroom. She withdrew the $100 bills from her pocket and placed them on the bedside table. She then kissed her husband’s forehead.

“It’s all going to be alright,” she said, placing her hand on her stomach which was bearing their unborn child.

The End

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!