The First Christmas

It was a dark night. I knew I was not supposed to be out of bed. I knew I would get in trouble. But something called me that night. Something that I could not resist in answering.
It was when I glanced out of my small window that I saw the star. It brighter and larger than any other star that I had ever seen. It amazed me. It made me curious. I did not hesitate but left my room. Both my parents were curled up on their mats and did not hear me wake. My father had worked hard all day, making sandals as was his trade. My mother had been busy with chores such as weaving, baking, and washing.
I crept out onto the stone streets of Bethlehem. I did not know whether it was safe or not to be out on the streets at night, nor did I care. I simply wanted to get closer to that beautiful star.
I walked for what seemed like a long time, but in reality, the darkness had seemingly stretched out the time. I sometimes stumbled over rocks or bushes as the night was extremely dark and the only thing that gave any light was the moon in the sky and the large star.
But after stumbling for a while, I saw another light. A different light. It was coming from a small building. I could hear murmuring voices and I wondered what was happening inside this small shed-like house.
A cry was heard. It sounded very much like my small sister Esther when she was hungry. But why in the name of King Herod would a baby be outside in the cold, in a barn, with animals? I knew there must be animals because of the smell that drifted towards me as I got closer to the shed. I could also hear the soft bray of a donkey.
I looked up. The star was right ahead.
I crept closer to the shed, but stopped at the door. I dared not go further, but I could not resist a look.
A sweet-faced woman, not very old, held a tiny baby in her arms. The baby was red-faced, as though it had just been born, but was not crying loudly. Just whimpering. Its tiny eyes were half-open.
A heavily, bearded man sat at the girl's side. He looked, with gruff adoration, at the baby.
Three men, dressed in robes, stood behind the man and woman. They stared down at the boy, smiling. Each held a small parcel and I watched as the first man, in purple ropes, handed his wrapped gift to the woman who accepted it with tears in her eyes.
Extremely close to where I stood, smelling of sheep, stood three shepherds. They were on their knees, their heads were bowed. They seemed so humble.
Who is this child, I wondered, that has men bowing to him and giving him gifts?
It must be, I decided, someone special.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!