Kira's Tale

I see nothing. Black. Nothing, but black. Tck, tck, tck. Mums milk is warming my body up. My eyes are closed. My ears are blocked, and I squirm closer to mums tummy. I was inside there a day ago. I’m glad to be out.
‘What should we call them?’ My dads gruff voice whispered close by me.
‘We’ll let them decide.’
Yes, us.
6 weeks later…

Mihw, mihw, mihw, mihw. I have sisters, brothers and mum. There are 3 sisters my black sister, my other black sister and me, my black self. There are 2 boys tortoise shell. I follow my older sister and my younger sister follows me. We run and play all day. We jump and shout. Together. I love my sisters. Mum calls from inside. Time for a long earned sleep. Her tummy is warm and her milk is sweet. I never want to leave home.

3 weeks after that…

I don’t remember where I came from and I miss my sisters and bros too. [Some of these next events are true! I tried to remember as much as I could but it was about a year or so ago… Kaylah] Some people came in and let Garfield out. He is a big mean cat he likes kittens like me and hates adult cats. Lucky Garfield, he has a whole cage to himself. Mind you he sees the other cats through the bars. Look they opening my cage door. Hey pull back! A couple of cats ran forward and pushed me! Hey, a white face is picking me up. Hey, Hey! She is putting me into the hands of another white face.
‘Kira, Kira. Do you like that name. I think it is a lovely name.’ said the young white face who was holding me with her soft touch. I have no idea what they are saying.
‘Kaylah, that is the name the RSPCA gave her. But you can keep it.’ Said an older white face standing next to ‘Kaylah’. They passed me around and all cuddled me. [we didn’t take Kira home straight away like it says here. Kaylah]

20 minutes later…


Mihw, mihw, mihw, mihw.
‘Its alright Kira. We are almost home.’ Said ‘Kaylah’.
Be quiet! You and that younger white face talk too much!

2 years later…

I am a two year old kitty now. I am exploring the bush beyond the back yard. A mouse rustled in the bushes. It felt my pawsteps. It scuttled into the trees ahead I see a familiar black cat. In a clear spot. I jump out and hiss; ‘Who are you?! What are you doing on my territory?!’ She spat with hatred.
‘I am Nelly, Charlee’s cat. Who are you?’
‘Kira, Kaylah’s cat.’
‘And I am Sooty. Cassandras cat.’
From out of the bushes jumped another Black, and familiar, cat.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!