A Character Sketch

Morris sat sullenly in the corner of the kitchen. Dame Agnes had gone shopping and so Geoffrey had gone to get the girl, the one he had nicknamed ‘Pup.’
He watched as Geoffrey entered the kitchen, the girl at his side. The kitchen suddenly filled with laughter, teasing and animated conversation.
He stared at them as they bantered and joked with each other. He loathed them. Every single one of them.
Truthfully, Morris was still sore about the other day. His hatred for Geoffrey and Nate was especially great. Just when he had thought he had an infallible plan to show the Dame that the other boys were deceitful, untrustworthy liars, they had turned his own ploy against him, and made him look like the deceiver!
Dame Agnes had ignored him for the rest of the day, every glance she had given him showed disgust. He didn't deserve it! There was a girl hiding in the cupboard upstairs, he would find some way to prove it. ‘Pup’ would be thrown out on the streets, helpless and vulnerable.
She’ll deserve it too, he thought spitefully, trying to weasel her way into boy’s activities. And the boys will see how idiotic they’ve been, fawning over her.
He glanced out the window, a smirk on his lips as he thought of Orlando, Geoffrey, Nate and the others coming up to him, humbled and downcast as they apologized for their own stupidity.
He straightened suddenly. The figure of Dame Agnes was steadily approaching. He looked over his shoulder. The boys were chatting vigorously to ‘Pup.’ He watched as Geoffrey leaned over and gave an escapee strand of her hair a teasing tug.
None of them had noticed. A feeling of great joy came over him as he realised that they were about to be caught in the act of entertaining the girl.
He grinned goofily and watched happily as the Dame advanced.
“What’re you smiling at?” Geoffrey asked suddenly, glancing over at him. “Thinking of tea tonight already, Morris?”
There was a chorus of laughter that stopped suddenly when Orlando said, “Geoffrey! Dame Agnes! She’s right outside!”
A flurry of confusion took over as Nate grabbed the girl’s hand and pulled her towards the stairs saying, “Quickly, Pup!”
“Damn you,” said Geoffrey, shooting him a look of absolute revulsion and disgust.
Morris stared defiantly at his feet as Geoffrey remarked, “make one sound, Morris, and I’ll black your other eye.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!