Darkened Skies

Darkened Skies
Angels.
The word seems so insignificant to non-believers, I mean humans. They think of us as myths, but oh how wrong they are.
Demons.
Another myth, just like Angels. But non-believers have no idea that Angels and Demons live among them, forever fighting a silent battle of wits and bravery.
I curse the day Demons arose, their ugly black wings darkening the sky. Every Angel curses those creations of the dark, but I curse them with passion. A Demon killed my family.
It was late on a Saturday night and we had just come home from a wonderful dinner. I went straight upstairs to brush my teeth and get ready for bed. It was then the screaming started. But as soon as it started it stopped and when I reached my parents it was too late. I ran outside and saw the faint outline of a Demon flying into the sky, his dark wings fading. Oh why was I so intent on brushing my teeth? I should’ve died with them. Even as I say it I know that the Demon didn’t kill me because I’m not pure. He knew I was there but he smelt the tiniest hint of Demon and left me. Left me regretting I never told my parents the truth. Left me to live as an orphan for the rest of my life. Left me to suffer silently. Left me to become the Demon I had tried to deny.
I will become a Demon. Every book I read says so. Don’t ever let a Demon drink from you or you will share their fate.
My wings already don’t look as white as they should. They don’t even shine any more. Soon everyone will smell the stench of Demon in my blood and turn away from me. That’s what they did to Lucas.
Now I must leave the committee and live between two worlds before my wings turn black and start sucking away my soul. But I needed to hear his voice before I changed. I needed to feel his saddened warmth. I needed to see the Demon that drank from me. I needed to see James.
I flew over to our tree and breathed a sigh of relief. It feels so good to be back.
Something moved in the shadows and James stepped out, his face alight.
“Darcy”, he came over and I let him fold himself around me.
“James”, I looked up into his green eyes, “You stained me. I’m becoming a Demon.”
“What?” James looked astonished, “But I thought you were pure.”
“I was pure. By loving you I became impure and now I will suffer the consequences.”
“No, Darcy”, James grabbed my hand, “I never meant to change you.”
“I know”, I whispered, “I know.”
Then he kissed me and I let myself melt into him. There was no point in denying it. I was to become a Demon. But at least I could be with James, my one true love...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!