Paranoia

My Name is Alice Sinclair and the most terrifying, horrific experience of my life took place in the twelfth month of 2006. For I thought my short life was already at an end, the whole thing flashed before me, just like they say in books and movies I guess.
It was close on midnight I believed. Restless I laid, not sure as to why. A strange feeling crossed over me, I felt uneasy. My skin grew colder and my breathing shallowed. Outside, not far from my dew covered window, I heard motion. Sounds of small twigs upon my lawn snapping and a slow calm breathing; I froze in position, fearful.
Somehow, through my fear, I managed to sit up and glance around the room – taking in my surroundings. My doll house perched precariously, overhanging my dresser and my draping pink curtains, gently swaying in the breeze, colour obscured by the night. Peering through my small damp window however, failed to reveal source of the commotion. Nothing but a cold, misty night loomed before me. So in returning my head to my pillow, I tried my best to not think about it.
Minutes past and I heard but nothing. Did I imagine it? Of course I didn’t, but how was I to know. For the time, I thought little of it and drifted off to sleep. Long, dark and lanky shadows crossed over my face, waking me once more. The shadows were emanating from my hallway, passing through a crack in my door. I clutched at my mouth in an effort not to scream, and somehow managed to contain myself. A menacing feeling almost drowned me, and an unfathomable dread pulled me beneath my covers.
Knowing the threat would not go away, I slowly and quietly got out of bed and reached for my walking cane. I had injured my ankle recently and had trouble walking. Clutching cane in hand, I cautiously moved through the hallway.
I screamed as I swung the cane around the dark corner, narrowly missing my poor distressed and defenceless cat. I knelt to pat her, as if to apologise for my mistake and over reaction.
I resumed my patrol and with the coast clear, relief flowed through my body, and a warm feeling filled my heart. Returning to the comfort and security of my bedroom, and easing myself into bed, I rested my cane at my side. With the reassurance I was safe, I slowly drifted back to sleep – I was very tired now.
In my dreams I was lost, confused. Repeating the night’s events in my head I searched for logical solutions and found none. Shadows, sounds – voices. Was I losing it?
My dusty wooden door creaked and I was again awake in a daze. I looked around – paranoid – trying to pinpoint the origin of the disturbance. Startled, I suddenly found myself gasping for breath – a girl was upon me, knife in hand and smirk on face. I screamed in terror, she covered my mouth.
It was then I looked closely at the girl – I knew her.
I realised, At last, my conspirator had arrived!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!