Man's Best Friend

People came from all directions. The scene appeared chaotic but there was order to the confusion. They streamed like so many busy ants into the entranceways and disappeared down the escalators. He sat at the train station observing the crowd. He had been waiting patiently for a number of days, searching for the perfect person. It was a tricky and time-consuming process.

He glanced at every face that passed him. He analyzed their body language and the way they walked. He wanted to find somebody that was as lonely as he was. He wanted to belong to somebody that would appreciate his company and tickle him gently behind the ears. Just the thought of having someone in his life again made his tail wag.

So far, Charlie was torn between two passersby, twenty-four year old Sally Aesch and seventy-six year old Harry Greenwood. Both individuals were sad, lonely people with kind loving hearts. Sally had recently moved, away from her friends and family. She was frightened, shy and very lonely. Harry was still mourning the loss of his wife, who had died three years previously. She had left a huge hole in his life. Part of everyday was spent visiting her grave at the local cemetery. Charlie wagged his tail; he had made his decision. Sally would make new friends and would soon be enjoying a happy social life. Harry was older and in desperate need of a loyal companion. Everyone needs someone to love.

The next morning, Charlie sat in his usual spot awaiting Harry’s arrival. It would not be long until he slowly shuffled onto platform six; his polished wooden, walking stick, tapping against the bitumen. And there he was ambling along enjoying the early spring sunshine. Charlie positioned himself within patting distance and turned his wise, old face towards Harry. Who could resist such an offer of friendship?

And so it was that over the next week or two Charlie would wait for Harry. They would board the train together and make the trip out to the cemetery. Where Charlie would lie on the green grass while Harry tended his wife’s grave and chatted to her about his day, just as if she had never left. Charlie followed Harry home that day. When Harry appeared the next morning he found Charlie peacefully sleeping in the front porch. It was not long before they were sharing the same fireside in comfortable companionship.

Charlie had found a warm comfortable home and someone to tickle him behind his ears and Harry had found a faithful companion to share his day with.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!