Next Time

Waves pound on the beach and little children scream as the water splashes their feet. I giggle as I look at them remembering how I use to do that.

I find a clear spot of sand and lay out my spotty towel. I drop my bag next to it, and push the tip of my surfboard into the sand so that it stands up. I sit on my towel. I reach into my bag trying to find the wax for my board. But I can’t find it. I stand up and pick up my bag upending the entire contents onto my towel.

I shuffle around its content, moving around my mobile, sunscreen and sunglasses, to find it. I even shake out my shirt (for after the surf). But it’s not here! I sigh as I shove all my stuff back in my bag.

“Damn it” I say, thinking out loud, “how could I forget the wax? Now I can’t surf you idiot.”

“Hey, um do you need some wax?” says a shy voice from behind me.

I turn around to face the most perfect guy in the world. His dark blonde hair falls in his face, covering his bright green eyes slightly.

“Yeah that would be helpful, if you don’t mind” I reply trying to be confident.

He smiles and reaches into his bag. I watch his strong, tanned arms stretch. He throws me the wax. I catch it.

“Thank you so much, this saves me from a long walk home. By the way my name’s Summer” I say as I rub the wax onto the board.

“Nice name, mines Max.”

I throw back the wax since I’m finished with it.

“Do you want to come out with me or are you finishing up?” I ask getting up and putting my board under my arm.

“I’m just getting started.” he says with a smile.

We run up to the water together and start paddling out to the back of the waves.

I sit up on my board and see the best wave coming up, I turn and get set for the wave and then I’m up and riding it. I hear Max shouting something behind me but I think its encouragement. Then another surfer cuts in front of me. As he turns out he catches the front of my board and I’m in the water getting pushed by the waves. I hit the sand and I’m pinned there. Finally the wave passes and I’m able to go up for a breath.

I can’t feel my arm. It must be broken. The first thing I see is Max’s face looking worried as he paddles towards me.

He helps me to shore.

“You could have killed yourself I was so worried!” he says as we walk to my bag.

I sit on my towel, not worrying about my arm. I kiss his cheek “Thanks for worrying, I hope next time we meet I don’t break a bone” I say with a smile.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!