Emma And Lucy

Lucy Black and Emma Preston were born in the same hospital two days apart. Emma’s family, consisted of her mother Rita Preston and her father James Preston, had moved from Sydney to Baker two weeks before she was born. The Preston’s bought a small brick cottage with frangipani trees and a pool. Lucy’s house was white with blue trim and it had a veggie garden out the back and a mango tree in the front. Her family consisted of her mother Rochelle Black and her father Tim Black.
The day the Preston’s moved in Rochelle sat on the front patio and watched them as she drank her tea. Rochelle visited Rita the next day. Over the next two weeks they became close friends and managed to get rooms next to each other in the hospital. “And of course our babies will be best friends” whispered Rita to Rochelle. “Of course” replied Rochelle.
Just like Rita and Rochelle agreed Lucy and Emma became best friends. Their families couldn’t remember the last time they spent a day apart. They looked so different, Lucy with her straight blonde locks and Emma with her mass of black curls, yet they looked right together.
The Black's and the Preston's grew together over the years. Emma and Lucy never separated for more than 2 days. They were like twins and not even their parents knew them as well as they knew each other. They slipped through their school days like it was a lazy summer's day.
Fresh out of school and full of optimism Emma and Lucy moved in to an apartment close to the local university. Emma quite suddenly fell deeply in love with a tall dark man called Jack. Within 2 months they were engaged.
Then tragedy hit like a summer southerly change. Rochelle and Tim's car slipped off a wet road. They both died instantly. Lucy was crushed. Emma was all she had. Emma was blinded by love and grief for Rochelle and Tom, and didn't see how depressed her friend was. She moved in with Jack.
Lucy stared at the walls of her empty apartment and felt nothing but sorrow. She took a knife from the kitchen. Lucy drove over to her best friend's house. The lights were out but only Jack's car was in the drive. She unlocked it with her spare key and walked to the couples room. Jack lay on their bed with the serene features of sleep on his beautiful face. Lucy slipped her knife into his heart and left. As drove down the street she passed Emma and began to cry.
2 hours later there was a knock at Lucy's door. It was her. Emma. “Why?” was all she said.
“He was taking you away. I couldn't bear it.” Lucy whispered shutting her eyes.
Emma looked at the last person on earth that she loved more than herself. Her mind raced over the years of love they had shared. She took out her gun and squeezed the trigger.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!