YEN The Story Of A Tiger

Ying was running as far as she could from her brother Yang, he said that he would kill her (as a joke).

Ying ran up a mountain and through the forest to the old cave that was hidden in the deepest forest. Ying sat in the cave and was trying to light a fire so she could find her basket and her drink bottle. She daydreamed while watching herself lighting the fire then suddenly 'Poof' the fire had lit.

Ying went down the cave to a basket and picked it up and saw a baby tiger cub lying next to the little river that ran past the old cave. It wouldn't move, the only sign of life was the leaves blowing next to the mouth of the tiger. Ying picked up the tiger and placed it into the cave next to the fire.

Ying found a little bowl with a drawing of a dragon on it, Ying went to the back of the cave and got some rice she had taken from her house and fed the tiger.

The next day, Ying woke up with a soft lick on her cheeks. "Good Morning.... wait a second, you're awake." Ying yawned. "Raaaaaa" roared the tiger. "You need a name. How about Yen?" asked Ying. "Raaaaaaa" Yen roared while chasing her tail excitedly. "Are you hungry Yen? There's lots of rabbit holes at the front if you want or rice".
Yen ran outside and started chasing the rabbits. Ying looked around to check for danger then ate rice.

After breakfast, Ying took Yen for a walk to a place she has never been. There were trees everywhere. Ying found a sharp rock and cut the leaves off ready for the snow storm.

When Ying was walking back to the cave she saw hunters in the distance. Ying found a little hole that fitted them both in. Ying ran in. 'BANG!' It was too late. "Yen, Yen, Yen." Ying shouted. No blood, no movement. Ying was scared. She looked at the hunters. The hunters were heading towards Yen.

Ying jumped up and ran to Yen. She picked her up and ran back to her spot before the hunters saw her. Ying watched the hunters come looking with tears in her eyes. "Hey, look, there's a bullet hole in this leaf". "He got away" said one hunter.

As soon as the hunters ran off, Ying ran back to the cave with Yen in her arms. Ying decided it was time to go home to the main city of North Korea, P'yongyang.

Ying ran home through the forest and down the snowy mountain and back home.

"Ying we were very worried, I didn't mean it, I wasn't going to kill you" Yang said while bowing his head. "Yang, Mum where is dad?" Ying asked while catching her breath. "In your room' said her mother. "THANK YOU MUM" Ying shouted while running to her room.

"Dad I I.. I need to talk to you" Ying stammered. "Ying, Oh Ying, I missed you so much. You can talk to me about anything" replied her father.

"Well I ran into this cave in the forest and found a sick baby tiger and fed it some rice that I kept in a container. The next day we went through the forest and there was some hunters that tried to shoot her, but missed. The sound of the shot scared the life out of Yent (the tiger) and had, I think a heart attack" Ying sniffed.
"Have you got hope?" Ying's father asked.
"Yes" replied Ying.
"Well keep your hopes up. You never know if... What's her name again?" her father asked.
"Yen" said Ying.
"Yeah, Yen. Yen can still be alive. Don't forget this is the way of North Korea" Ying's father encouraged her.

Now Ying looks out the window everday thinking about Yen.

But the question is 'IS HOPE ENOUGH?"



FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!