Jack's Decision

One numbing wintry night Jack, Dylan and Mitchell had been outside the supermarket loitering restlessly on the roadside. The wind was howling wildly and they hung around drinking icy cold Pepsi and eating only slightly warm hot dogs.
The boys kicked stones vigorously across the road. Mitchell was bored and suddenly said, “hey, let’s graffiti the wall behind the supermarket with our spray cans.”
“Cool as, that’s what I was thinking,” Dylan replied.
Jack exclaimed “no way, not on your life, you must be kidding!”
Dylan and Mitchell lumbered off to create their work of destruction, without even a fleeting glance toward Jack.
Jack was utterly gob-smacked by the behaviour of his ‘friends’. He followed hesitantly and observed that Mitchell had pulled several spray cans out of his scummy old backpack. He figured Mitchell had planned to get up to trouble all along and they knew he’d never agree with that. At that moment, he made an audacious decision. He abruptly turned and walked briskly in the other direction.
“Hey loser, where ya goin?” yelled Dylan viciously.
“I’m not doing this, it’s seriously simple minded,” Jack uttered back.
Dylan and Mitchell sniggered jeeringly.
Jack felt alienated as he headed home. The chillingly gusty wind made the walk home gloomy and drawn out. He became engrossed in thoughts about the choice he’d made to walk away. He’d grown up with those guys, they’d been best friends, but lately, well, things were different. They tried stupid risky thrills and made the wrong choices and he felt alarmed and at times nauseated. He’d been afraid of ruining the friendship…it’d be hard because they hung out at school however he didn’t want to be in trouble. Imagine what his parents or school would think, and how bad he’d feel. Dylan and Mitchell were quick to give him a hard time calling him ‘nerd’, or ‘chicken’. They’d tried to pressure him - to smoke, destroy letterboxes and parks, sneak alcohol…Jack kept saying no.
Jack arrived home, his head spinning. His dad was around so he decided to talk to him. Dobbing on his friends was troubling but right. His dad was worried yet proud of the choice Jack had made. Deep down, Jack was confused about losing friends.
The next morning Dylan came by Jack’s house and Jack was surprised when he mumbled, “Man, I’m sorry about last night.”
He explained to Jack that they’d been caught and had been taken home to their parents and had strict orders to clean it off the next day. Dylan was in monumental trouble and his name was recorded by local police. While he was talking Jack stared at him and suddenly felt better. Jack realised it was time to move on and let go of old friendships. Sure he’d be nice to them but his life was going in a different direction. He couldn’t force them to make the correct choices; but he could make his own good decisions and he did, right then, at that moment.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!