Bad Kitty

Isaac took a deep breath, closed his eyes, and rid all fear from his little head. He jumped. He flew through the air, his whiskers blowing about in his face. Flying, flying… falling. He held his breath as he plummeted towards Earth. A sudden splash broke the silence of a warm summer’s day in Puss Avenue. A sharp sting filled his body like a million tiny needles as he broke the surface of the icy cold pool. He felt the water seep into his fur, making him feel heavy. His tiny paws pummelled the water as he rose up towards the light. Adrenaline was rushing through him, his eyes wider than the moon. His little face shot up out of the water, gasping for breath. A shriek of laughter so loud coming from such a small cat was almost terrifying.
"What a silly little cat," Darling said, shaking her head in disapproval. She and Luna were watching from the the fence nearby. "Always taking stupid risks. One day he will be sorry. To be honest, I hope it's soon. I am getting quite over his awful behaviour."
Darling was the cat of the street, pearl white, thick fur with a sparkling collar. Luna was her best friend; or servant, if you like. She was a dark bluey colour with bright blue eyes. Luna did everything she was told, only because she's too shy to do otherwise. She didn't ever stand up for herself, let alone talk to anyone unless she had to.
"Yes," Luna whispered in reply.
Isaac was preparing to take another jump and was climbing back up the tall fence. Darling turned her back and started strutting away, her thick fluffy tail softly swaying side to side. Luna followed, a little tinkle coming from her collar bell as she sped up to meet her.
She was fascinated by his bravery, his ability to do whatever he wanted without caring what other cats thought. Deep down, it was Luna's life dream. But she was too afraid to take the first step, in case she falls. If she did, Darling would tease her. Luna thought that it was better to stay as she was rather than take the risk.
Again, she heard that sharp squeal of laughter. Over her shoulder-or tail, Isaac had just landed smoothly in the water. All of a sudden, a great deal of motivation and determination came across Luna. She stopped in her path, her collar bell going silent. Darling turned around to look at her. Luna was so eager to do something she wanted to do, for once in her life. She wanted to jump. She wanted to jump into water. She stuck her chin up at Darling and turned her tail in the other direction.
“What are you doing, Luna? Come back here!” Darling was shocked that she didn’t instantly come back crawling to her.
Up she climbed, Isaac smiling from bellow. Luna took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and jumped.
By Kate Warren, 14
Year 9, Austin Hospital School
145 Studley Rd, Heidelberg 3084

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!