A Dark, Dark Tale

In a place in the middle of nowhere, I was surrounded by trees tall and slender like a pencil and standing like soldiers. The forest was dark and spooky, I felt isolated. All I could hear was the rustle of the trees and the owls and crows flapping their wings, flying low to the ground. Wolves were howling. As I’m walking around, I could hear the gravel crunching beneath my feet. Through the trees, I saw an old ugly mansion. I anxiously went to have a look.

Step by step, I slowly walk towards the big brown wooden door. I walked up the first few steps..... I squealed. There was a huge web that caught my face and I thought the web on the door looked even worse. On the side rails there were overgrown vines and big thorns. Everything was lathered in dust. I thought my next move was stupid but I stood in front of the door and went to open it. The door creaked really loud, I wasn’t sure that what I had done was the right thing.

I peeked inside to see a dark long narrow staircase and cracked walls. A black cat meowed and ran upstairs. When I stepped inside the cold tiles immediately froze my feet. Curious, I ran upstairs and opened the curtain to have a look at what was behind it.

From what it looked like, I thought it was a bedroom that just collected dust. The sunlight shone through the window and dust was floating around everywhere. In one of the corners in the room I saw a rocking horse which reminded me of one I had when I was younger. But the first thing that caught my eye was the old cupboard standing right in front of me with one door slightly open. I noticed the cat on its two back legs as if it’s trying to get in and something is there. I felt bad luck was coming my way.

Underneath the left cupboard door it looked to be a stain, it smelt all mouldy. I also happened to realise the cupboard was on four claws to hold it up, but along with that there were three people’s faces, but I couldn’t work out whose they were. I decided to stop looking around and open the cupboard door.

The door creaked open and straight away, I turned to the box in the corner. I thought it looked like an old antique with flowers. I was tempted to see what was inside the box. I saw light shining in from the box and it fascinated me. The suspense was frustrating so I immediately reached and open the wooden box. Inside was..... a bunch of flowers with a note that read ‘BEWARE! YOU WILL BE HUNTED DOWN FOR ENTERING MY HOUSE, YOU BAD PERSON!’ My heart was pounding and I immediately ran away to a place called fairyland, where I hid for the rest of my life so I wasn’t found.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!