Banana Porridge

“Yuck! Banana porridge again!” Ben groaned, as his mum plonked breakfast onto the table. “ If you haven't got something nice to say, don't say anything. You should be glad you get any breakfast,” scolded his mum. Ben was a seven year old boy who lived with his Mum and Dad in Sydney. He had short tufty brown hair and big green eyes.

In the whole scheme of things Ben was a very well-off boy. He had enough to eat, a roof over his head and a loving family. There was just one problem: Ben's mum was in a healthy food craze. She was obsessed with fruit and veggies! Ben was sick and tired of it. So he made a plan.

Ben had a magical imagination. Just by thinking of something it would come true! So he went up to the fruit bowl and imagined that all the fruit would come to life. Suddenly up jumped an apple, then the tomato started to wriggle. Pretty soon the potatoes started a conversation and the celery were doing cartwheels! He told them his plan. “Don't wash yourselves. I want you to stink so much, Mum will pass out when she eats you. Everyone understand?” They all did. Ben was pleased. Now he'd just have to wait a week or so for the smell to start!

A week later, Mum sat down to eat her breakfast of banana porridge. As she took a bite of mushy banana, she hesitated and started smacking her lips. She began turning green. Hurriedly she got up and ran towards the bathroom. “Yes! “ Ben celebrated. He felt sorry for his mum, but after all, the spinach in his birthday cake had to stop somehow.

Later on, at morning tea, mum cut up some fruit and passed it out. Ben winced and took a bite. Of course Ben had made sure that some of the fruit had been kept clean for him to eat. Ben's mum came down and sat with him and popped some apple in her mouth. She started coughing and took a reluctant gulp. It was written all over her face: that apple was disgusting! Ben was pleased. His plan was working beautifully.

Several weeks later, things were still going to plan, for Ben at least. His mum was getting more confused every day. Today it was bean and broccoli stew for dinner. Ben was wondering how much longer his mum would hold out. He wouldn't have to wait much longer. As the stew finished boiling, his mum had a taste. She threw the ladle into the stew and yelled, “I don't know what's wrong with these veggies but I'm sick and tired of them tasting horrid every time. That's it! Who feels like burgers for dinner?”

Well, Ben got what he wanted. They still had healthy food regularly, but Mum was over the health craze. And of course Ben was never forced to eat banana porridge again!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!