Heart Vacancy

On a mid-day, the sun blazed. In a brick church, a wedding ceremony was held. I stood by the wooden doors of the church and stared at the people throwing money at the couple. Maybe I could throw a sack of coins on the bride’s face or give her a sword as a gift. She can thank me later.
“Catherine?” A voice spoke from behind.
I turned. “Good day.” I bowed in greeting. My heart pounded faster, but the dissatisfaction remained.
My friend, Saul, bowed in return. “I--I’m happy you came to my cousin’s wedding.”
“I wouldn’t miss it for the world.” I lied. I glanced at the huge clock called ‘Big Ben’. “I must go.” I slowly stepped down the church’s front stairs.
Saul was the man I truly loved but sadly he doesn’t love me back. I kept wondering. What’s wrong with me? As I walked past the shop windows of London and saw my appearance: pale white, red lips and gleaming sapphire eyes. I turned away quickly. Maybe I wasn’t enough for him?
I glanced at the woman sitting on the chair beside the street. Her eyes were like dark clouds. I wanted to run but my feet were stuck to the ground. “I know what you want.” The woman’s voice thundered into my ears. “Such a beautiful face but still no satisfaction. If you want I shall give you a more beautiful face. With your new face, Saul, will definitely love you.”
The thought of Saul saying my name with love eager’s me. “Who are you?”
The woman smiled with an aura of darkness surrounding her. “I am a sorceress, I use magic.”
My eyebrows furrowed. “What would you want in return?”
“Oh, yes!” She giggled. “If I should do it for love, I shall do it for free.”
“I love Saul and I want him!” I admitted. “I will do it!”
A cloud covered the sun and the sorceress chanted spells. After that my vision blurred...
I woke up in my bedroom feeling as if I’d slept for a long time, wondering how I ended up here. A mirror hung on the opposite of my bed. I walked towards it and gasped. The woman in front of me was so beautiful that I wanted to cry.
I walked to the church again; the people looked at me with jealousy. As I stared at the church I know that I would be the next girl to be married. I walked in the isle, practicing with my head held high. Then I saw Saul in white.
“Saul!” I yelled. I noticed that a wedding ceremony had just finished.
Saul turned and his eyes widened. “Good morning!” He smiled. “Have you met my wife yet?”
I paused, bewildered. Wife?
A woman was talking to a guest turned and I saw who she was, me. My old face she wore with pride. “Hello, I’m Catherine.” She smiled at me with an aura of darkness surrounding her.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!