Fear

I looked down at the raging water below as I stood at the edge of the cliff. All I had to do was take that final step and I would be free, free from it all. The water looked so tempting on this summer’s afternoon, so innocent as it waited for me. I could still back out I thought, I could refuse to give in, but even now my fear of the height from edge to water held me back. Maybe, just maybe I wouldn't do it.
I looked at the water once more, saw how it met the base of the cliff sending up a massive wave of water as it broke and foamed. I saw the jagged edge below and could only think about being smashed into those rocks again and again, pushed under by the tremendous force of the waves. I shook my head to clear the vision and tried to steady my racing heart, drawing in deep breaths to calm my nerves. I could do this, I knew I could. I would prove to the world who I really am.
Wind whistled past me as I stood closer to the edge. I had been thinking of this for so long. I had imagined it in my mind time and time again. It had played before my eyes, yet never had it turned out like this, in my mind I had never hesitated as I did now. In my mind there was nothing holding me back, yet in reality my terrifying fear of height left me shaking, tied me firmly to the world upon which I stood.
I breathed in, out, in, out. I could do this. My eyes scanned the distance between where I stood and the water, with one last deep breathe I cut the knot that tied me to this land, I took the last step and plummeted through the air, a small smile on my face. The air cradled me as I fell, making me feel as if for this one moment I could fly. Yet all this was gone too fast as with a shock I hit the icy cold water that dragged me down into its depth. Goosebumps appeared as I floated towards the darkness below. Peace swept through me as I shut my eyes and relaxed. I had made my choice, I had achieved what I wanted to do. I was happy.
Suddenly hands grabbed me from above and dragged me back towards the surface, towards the light. I opened my eyes with a sigh and with one last look towards the darkness that seemed to beckon me, I kicked my legs and with a gasp shot to the surface. My friends surrounded me cheering and clapping. I smiled proudly back and let loose a quiet laugh. I had finally conquered my crippling fear of heights. This was a day I would never forget, the day I conquered my fear. The day I finally cliff dived with all my friends.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!