Heat Proof

A quick trip and it was all over! Thinking back on earlier events while lying from a hospital bed with 2nd degree burns and a lack of memory about what had gone on the days before. Dr A.M.Nesia had told me that I had been unconscious for three days. They explained that the cause was smoke inhalation from a fire at the restaurant I waited in called ‘The Locals Stop’, but how, they didn’t quite know. That’s why the police have been in my room asking me if I remembered something but, I haven’t. I go over what I do know in my head again, hoping for anything to click in my brain…


It was half past nine when I was serving food ands drinks on a Friday night. We were extremely busy trying to keep up with the orders. While I was delivering a flaming pudding, I think I tripped over accidentally, flinging the pudding on to a nearby curtain igniting it. The fire then began its destructive rampage as it spread like a forest fire, slithering off to the rest of the restaurant, burning booths and the timber flooring with out hast. Spreading as far as the bar, igniting bottles of expensive whiskey and rum as well as beer and wine, heating it until the glass smashed and showered everyone within two metres. It was then when I remembered the explosion ringing in my ears causing a few seconds of deafness and then filling again unfortunately with the screaming cries of children and parents as well as myself. Everyone was evacuating the building now. I wanted to go with them and I tried but my body was too severely burnt and ached increasingly with the room temperature and body movement. It also didn’t help that the smoke was making me cough like I had a bad cold. I could hear fire sirens but I thought they would be too late to help me. That was when unconsciousness’ took over my body…


One of the questions that came to mind was “Why did I trip over?’ I continuously racked my brain for something but lost the battle. I hear a knock on my door. “Come in,” I say painfully. It is a doctor who enters. “Yes, Dr Nesia,” I croak. He silently stands aside and another man enters. I do not recognise him at first but my brain starts taking over and I realise the reason I tripped was because I saw this man just before I tripped and I must’ve stared at him in a day dreaming trance instantly loving him because his deep blue eyes and strong body shape were irresistible. “Hello, I’m Phoenix,” he said with a voice that suited his complexion,” Phoenix was the one who pulled you out of the fire”, said Dr Nesia. He left the room, leaving us alone. ‘I will be working with you in rehab for the next few months,” he told me. Silently I thanked the universe for giving me such an incentive to get through rehab. Who knows? Maybe he will like me because I certainly like him.


By Haydn Shaw

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!