Jeopardy

In 1942 I ran away from a run-down orphanage, saved a girl from a fire and got captured by soldiers. My name’s Jack and this is my story...

When I was six my parents put me in an orphanage. The orphanage is called St. Columbus Catholic Orphanage. Of all the presents I’ve received for birthdays, my present for my 8th birthday was the best. I got a pocket tool. It has a miniature screwdriver, a tiny allen key and a small wrench. I always carry them with me.

One morning when eating porridge for breakfast at the orphanage, I wondered, unusually, why my parents left me. Then I thought I should escape and look for them. So after breakfast I went to my room and got my diary out. I used it for my escape plan. I was going to steal the keys from the head mistress while she was sleeping heavily. Then I would sneak out the front door and run for my life!

It worked! I had escaped. As I ran, I heard a scream. Faintly in the distance I could see something. A house on fire! I ran to the fire and then I heard another scream. There was a girl trapped inside. I went in to find her. I found her, trembling. I carried her out of the fire and as far away as possible. I found an empty house. I decided to sleep there the night. The girl had a few cuts. As I fixed her up I introduced myself. “Hi I’m Jack. I heard you scream. Are you alright?” “I’m fine, thank you. Just scared. My name’s Lily.” Once she felt better we went looking for a bed. There wasn’t one, so we ended up sleeping on the hard and creaky floorboards.

“Wake up!” whispered Lily, “I’m hungry.” When I got up we went looking for food. All the cupboards were empty. We left and found a shady tree to have a rest under.

When I woke up I saw Lily, sleeping quietly. I sat up and looked around. Lily and I were on the back of a dark olive green military truck surrounded by harsh humidity. We’d been arrested. There were two army soldiers sitting in the front. One turned around and said “When we get to camp, you’ll be put on a train!” When we got to camp the men put us on the train and sent us off. Then it hit me. We’re Catholic. There’re going to kill us. We’re doomed. Then I remembered my pocket tool. I used the screwdriver and unbolted a few screws. Then I pushed the metal and made a hole. Lily and I jumped through the hole and landed in a field full of daises. I hugged Lily to make sure she felt safe!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!