The Flame

As the blood red sun set behind the mountains the smoke could still be seen rising. The fires this summer were completely destroying the bushland of the mountains.
“This is the worst I’ve seen it,” Jenny, one of the volunteer fire fighters. “And I’ve seen quite a few flames pass through this area.” The troupe of volunteer’s sat on the porch of the fire station, having just finished their shift. The sweat was pouring from their foreheads, giving their coffees a salty edge.
Jenny knew, signing up for the fire brigade ten years ago that it was going to be challenging, but she didn’t realise that it would affect her emotionally. Watching people’s houses burn down and knowing that she could not offer much support as she chased the flames with her hose was a feeling she was not planning on coming accustomed to.
“Who’s up for a stubby?!” shouted the boss from the office kitchen. Jenny then began to think about all the friends she’d made during her time with the brigade. She got on brilliantly with her boss, but this relationship came at the cost of the hardships of all the families losing their homes. She almost felt guilty that good times for her at the brigade could not be shared by the poor people who had lost everything.
“I’ll have one thanks!” someone called, walking down the side of the building. As they came around onto the porch Jenny saw it was the man whose house they’d saved that morning. He had the biggest smile on his face, which she knew, represented his thanks to the brigade for keeping the flames away from his property.
It was these relationships that Jenny formed with people from bushfire affected communities that made her job worthwhile.
Although the flames burn down bushland and turn houses to ashes, for Jenny and the other volunteers the fires ignited valuable and memorable relationships. An example of how good things can stem from terrible events.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!