Kings, Kids And Mind Readers


There he stood cautiously pouring the water into the golden goblets which shone like a newly pressed penny, the shine and glare blocking his view as he made his steps alongside his sister Emma, on their way to the King. Anthony and his sister’s tiny figures, made their way through a grand area. At that very moment, Anthony’s nervousness towards the King grew, as it automatically sent a signal to his hands causing him to shake, tremble and almost drop the heavy goblets filled with water.

Remembering the horrible experiences, being the king’s servants, Emma warned Anthony not to speak nor move as they bowed their heads, kneeled and waited for the King to grasp the goblets. They moved out of the grand hall. They felt relieved, such a simple job put their lives at stake. They also new their usual horrible day had just begun, what was at the orphanage awaited them.

There at the orphanage, a rat sat releasing a hideous odour for them to share, as the King and his men perfectly cooked some lamb. The King had started the orphanage for people like Emma and Anthony who no longer had parents and had nowhere to go. In return, wanted them to be his servants. When Anthony’s parents were alive they had warned him about his sister’s special gift.

Emma had the gift to read minds. Since then he’d kept a close eye on her. Anthony had been thinking about whether the orphanage was such a safe place to be anymore. Of course he new they were treated as slaves, but it was his sister’s safety he was more interested in. The reasons which lead to his decision kept him thinking. Recently the King had been ordering to have his men torture all of the kids and kidnap one child and the child was Emma. Anthony had a strong gut feeling that the king had figured out Emma’s gift. He didn’t know when he had figured it out and how but that became a lower priority. His first was to bring Emma to safety. They would escape that night.

The plan was discussed and they were off. Although Anthony was worried, he was quite excited as well. All the petrifying memories would be exchanged for a new, happier life. Their journey began as they stepped out of the heavily wired prison - like gates and ran towards a carriage on a nearby train. Something stopped Emma and in the distance they saw the King’s men. Their hearts began to race along with every part of their bodies. Emma jumped on the carriage, but it was Anthony who fell behind. She reached out to him but fell and under the train as he jumped on. As he moved into the distance he saw his sister’s body being mangled beneath him. Tears rushed to his eyes blocking his vision and staining his already wet face. “It was all for you”, he sobbed.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!