Make A Change!

“The girl reached out – a cry for help. Her sunken eyes shone with terrified tears. Suddenly the ground behind her became a mass of swirling black. It began to suck her backwards, as a look of terror crossed her face. She flailed about, but to no avail. Her dark skin turned pale as her bony body was sucked closer to the darkness. She reached out frantically, her thin fingers clawing wildly in the air. I looked at the large crowd witnessing this poor girl’s plight. Their faces were sympathetic, but they did nothing! At times they threw tokens to her, mainly small change. She eagerly grabbed them, clasping them to her chest. Momentarily, the dark pit ceased its pull on her, but soon it began again. Her brown eyes pleaded with me as her mouth opened in a silent scream. I was scared to help. What could I possibly do? I watched as the deep pit continued to engulf her in its darkness. She was young – too young. She was skinny – deathly so. She was scared – terrified for sure. I didn’t blame her! I didn’t understand. Why was this happening to her? Why was no one doing anything?”

I woke with a start! The whole dream confused me. Night after night, the same dream haunted me – her desperate cries for help, her pleading eyes, her malnourished body and that bottomless pit of darkness. Then the dream developed…

“The girl was no longer alone. Now there were millions; males and females of all ages – old men, little babies, young mothers, teenage boys – all uniquely individualistic in their appearance, but with one similar characteristic – malnourished bodies. As before, the ground opened up to the darkness and began to suck the people backwards. But this time it was bigger –much bigger. Every one of the poor souls began to be engulfed by the darkness. Their mouths opened with their pleas for help. But still no sound was heard. The crowd around me was larger too – but still they did nothing, but look on sympathetically and offer little ‘gifts’ from time to time! Making my decision, I raced toward the helpless victims. Grabbing the hand of a little boy, I heaved him free. Setting him aside safely, I found that my strength was barely affected. Glancing back at the witnesses, I begged them to help. Then I reached out to a teenage girl and pulled her to safety also. Still my energy and strength remained. I continued helping one after the other. Soon I noticed that others were helping too. Some were rescuing, some comforting, some feeding and clothing. These helpless victims were given a better chance at life, by us giving just a little. Bit by bit, more people began to help and more people were rescued from the horrible dark pit. Not everyone was able to be rescued, but we were making a difference with what we had!”

I slept well after that, and the dreams made sense.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!