Saviour Of An Empire

Sakura woke to another gloomy day. The light around her was filtered through leaden clouds, which hovered ominously, threatening another endless downpour of rain. The cave in which she lay was lit dimly to reveal bare rocky walls and a hard ground of dirt and dust.
‘At least I have somewhere to sleep’ she thought, grimly. The days on the road, exposed to the harsh elements lingered in her mind. Lightning storms and rain flooded what fought to grow in the bleak landscapes, whilst some areas, seemed oblivious to the depressing rain, reacting as if in drought. The minstrels sung of luscious, ripe fruits and crops of the Emperor’s, beautiful gardens, while their own, and most of the Empires’, stomachs were empty.
‘I must leave this cave.’ Sakura thought, mournfully, stretching her cramped wings and taking off into the chilly air.
From her vantage point, Sakura could see all. It was dry and baron, a stark contrast to the minstral’s tales of the lush green landscapes of districts past. Barely a sign of life could be seen on the plains, though sluggish movements could be seen from the dirt roads and small villages that dotted the empty landscape. Unpleased with the sights, she swooped down to the dusty desert floor, sand billowing up around her, forming a cloud above her head. She picked delicately through the food they had left today, discarding the pork, and swallowing the sour apples and watercress. The villagers could spare little for their supposed ghosts, though what they could was prepared carefully, by the best chefs in the village.
‘They needn’t bother,’ she thought, bitterly. ‘I’m but a beast in their eyes.’ Suddenly she felt a twinge in her tail.
‘Blasted bugs.’ She thought as she swung around, narrowly missing a woman who was holding a scale in her hands. It was of the softest pink, and she stared greedily as it coruscated in the radiant sunlight.
“Why do you steal my scales!” Sakura thundered. The woman sank to her knees.
“Oh please! The Emporer starves us! He takes what we sow! We are forced to scavenge! Have mercy!
“You may keep the scale, but promise to never steal again!”
“Thankyou! I must repay you? Have you ever had your fortune told?”
“Never.” Sakura replied, curiously.
“ Good! Shall we begin?” She drew the scale from her pocket.
“This should be enough” Then, from her pack she took a bowl, skillfully decorated with beautifully detailed flowers. She poured water from the plain jug the villagers had left, sprinkling a powder from her pocket over. She closed her eyes and drew a breath.
She shuddered, her eyes wide. When she turned, her expression was one of pity.
“ I do not envy one whose path is so.” She said, solomnly, “ But it is not my place to change what is to be. You must go to the village, this is where your journey starts.” She smiled sadly, then was gone.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!