Tawny Trouble

A cloak of emerald leaves ripple in an unseen breeze. Velvety wings thrusted their way through the cold air. A tawny owl alighted upoun a slim tree. The tree's limbs branch out in artistic display. Two amber eyes raked the rugged terrain searching,searching. He cocked his head and his ears twist locating even the smallest of sounds. A frantic scrabble of tiny paws snaps him into attention. Unfurling his wings the owl soared silently towards the sound. His talons snagged at the pale grass combing it restlessly for his prey. With a coarse cry he veered away his interlocked claws containing a limp form. Finding a suitable perch the bird carved a size-able hunk from the carcass. Once finished he wiped his beak against the mossy bark. Sluggishly the scarlet fluid oozed down in irregular drips. The owl spiralled elegantly down his wingbeats slowing down to a soothing rythym. Suddenly a heavy grey blur of feathers smashed into him. He see-sawed crazily before re-gaining balance. Once more the other bird knocked him. This time however the opponent latched on him with crooked claws. A sharp peck was swiftly delivered to the tawny owl's face. In anger he stabbed at the grey and felt satisfaction as he felt his beak slide in. The other bird spun away blood welling like tears under his eye. The tawny hooted a challenge and the owl fluttered away in defeat. His pride swelling like a balloon the owl steadily flapped his way to the nest. It would take a couple of days for his wounds to heal. By the time he was back home dawn had just arrived. Blinking sleepily he settled into sleep. The next night came quickly slicing the light away and turning it to inky black. The tawny awoke and stretched his wings. He still ached from the riot last night and moved slowly compared to his flashing speed of days before. As the owl flew he didn't noticed an icy storm was gathering high in the dark sky. The night passed by with the storm growing stronger and stronger. With a thunderous growl the storm burst open and lashed hungrily at the tawny. He teetered in it all with his confidence leaking away. A flash of lightning scorched across his breast feathers and crawled over his wings. The wings caught alight and he immediately began to lose altitude. Like an arrow he fell down and crashed into a large hump of pearly snow. The cold crept over his burnt wings and soothed them. The pain then became to immense and became unconcious. Meanwhile a man walked up to the badly hurt owl and gently picked him up. The human murmured words of comfort and encouragement to him. The man's boots crunched over ice and he opened up the door of a car. He groped about until he found a small grubby blanket. With care the male wrapped the owl tightly and hopped into the car with the bundle on his knees. Another man was there waiting for him. With a curt nod the man pulled the car into the road and screeched his way down. Half an hour later the men arrived at a small building. In curled spidery lettering there was a sign that said: Alex Grosser's Animal hospital. One of the men passed the owl to the other and rummaged round in his pocket until he found a key. He slid it in the lock and the door clicked open. With urgency crackling in the air the humans trotted to the surgery room. Alex Grosser (the smaller man) flounced into the room and laid the bird down. He fingered the birds feathery neck until he found a pulse. The taller man passed Alex a pair of scissors and Alex began clipping. He carefully cut the feathers that were stuck in awkward angles.

During the next few months the owl ( fondly named Tawny by the vets) was forced to be fed mice mashed into a lumpy mixture. Tawny's feathers slowly grew back. By spring the young owl was ready to be released. Sadly the vets took Tawny into the car and made the long journey back to the owl's home. They each caressed him all the way and with many silent tears allowed the bird to climb onto a branch. Sniffling pathetically the climbed back into the vehicle and drove away forever.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!