James Firnley

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

James Firnley had always been the unpopular one of the school. He only ever had one friend, and although he was most likely the smartest child in the school, he wore big round glasses, was very unsocial, and had no confidence what-so-ever.
His 1 friend, Pete, was a fairly chubby kid, who didn’t wear glasses, wasn’t very popular either, and wasn’t very smart at all. They were both year 6’s, and they had been friends since birth.
The school spelling bee was coming up, and Pete had been trying to convince Jim that he should enter, as the prize was $1000 cash, and a new iPod Nano, the thing Jim had been wanting SO badly. Despite the prize, Jim didn’t like the idea, one, because it was being filmed, and EVERYONE would see it, and two, he was worried that he would lose to a girl named Fiona. Although Jim had a massive crush on Fiona, and Fiona was VERY popular, she never noticed Jim, I don’t even think she knew Jim existed!
After 4 LONG, TIRING months, Pete had finally got Jim to enter. They practised and practised, over and over, to some of the most complicated words you could ever hear!
Finally, the big day had arrived; every other student (besides Fiona) had misspelt their word. Finally, it was Jim’s turn, as he stood backstage, feeling very nervous, the judge called him on, Pete was right next to him whispering ‘you’ll be great!’
Jim walked on stage towards the microphone, there was no applaud from anyone. ‘James Firnley, correct?’ asked one of the judges,
‘Err… Yes’ replied Jim, fairly quiet.
‘Please spell for me, futilitarian.’ Told the judge,
‘F-U-T-I-L-I-T-A-R-I-A-N’ replied Jim, thinking that if these were the standards, then he would win this for sure. ‘Thank you,’ said the judge, giving a slight nod to the host to escort Jim off the stage. ‘Err… Fiona Adams?’ Fiona walked on stage very confidently. ‘Please spell for me, ailurophobia.’ Told the judge,
‘A-I-L-U-R-O-P-H-O-B-I-A’ replied Fiona, slightly grinning. ‘Thank you, please step aside to the left of the stage, and take a seat.’ Fiona nodded to the judge, and made her way to her seat. ‘James Firnley, please make your way back on stage, and take a seat to the right of the stage.’ Told the judge, Jim doing exactly what he was told. ‘Now, we’re going to have a showdown, since you two are the only ones who haven’t gotten a word wrong, I’m going to read out 7 words, and I want you to write the words I say onto the pad. Questions?’ Asked the judge. Neither Fiona nor Jim said anything, ‘Good, shall we start?’ asked the judge, as he started to read out the words. ‘abatude, catoptromancy, deipnosophist, bouquinist, heptamerous, kyriolexy, and kakistocracy.’ Read out the judge, as Fiona and Jim scribbled down the words onto their pads. Two judges came down and collected the pads, as the other said ‘Thank you, you may now leave the stage, we will call you upon the stage in about 5 minutes to announce the winner.’ Jim and Fiona both walked off the stage feeling surprisingly nervous.
‘Fiona Adams and James Firnley, please join the stage.’ Asked the judge, as they both walked onto the stage. We have come to a conclusion that one of you has made a very small error in one of the seven words.’ Fiona started smiling, and sitting up straighter, knowing that it was OBVIOUSLY Jim. ‘The winner, of the July 2011 Spelling Bee competition is…………James Firnley! Congratulations James, come on up to receive your prize!’ The judge screamed, quite enthusiastically. Fiona had gone from sitting up straight, to slouching, as a sudden look of jealousy came upon her face.
‘Good try, Fiona.’ Said Jim, smiling, with a warm-hearted look on his face,
‘Thanks,’ replied Fiona, smiling now, quite happily.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!