Paper Trail

Life is a paper trail sometimes you miss the bin.
19th June 2008, it was one of those perfect days; it felt like nothing could harm you, but as per usual I was wrong. Brittney and I were on our way to one of our favorite places that no one else knew was there. It was in the forest no one else dared to go in, because it looked like the deeper you got in the darker and more mysterious it became. But I loved the place because right in the middle there was a tree swing and a spot of light that made it look like a scene from a fairytale. Brittney and I were talking and then all of a sudden ……..BANG! I fell to the floor dropping like a bird diving for cover. I had no idea what had hit me. My world went black.
One Month Later
BUZZZZ. “Recess” the children yelled excitedly, I quietly walked out of the classroom before anyone noticed me limping. Brittney ran over to me “looks like you could use some help,” she wrapped her arm around me to try and help me scurry away out of sight. We sat down “It’s not that bad,” Brittney explained.
“Where were you when it happened?” I asked confused.
“I just remembered I have to go and finish something!” Brittney declared but before I could ask what she had to finish she had bolted away. Brittney is my best friend she has brown curly short hair, green shimmering eyes and she is very controlling but I still trust her. As for me, my name is Poppy I have straight blonde hair, big brown eyes, I’m a bit dumb at times, I’m also the head cheerleader and Brittney just missed out on captain.
“Hey” I yelled across to Brittney, she saw me and sprinted towards me, she was a cheetah sprinting across the African plane; you could see grass dancing as she ran. “I have been up all night thinking that you should find your shooter!” Brittney exclaimed suspiciously. I agreed and we went through newspapers for local shootings but all evidence lead to dead ends. “Maybe we should go to the forest!” Brittney suggested. I wasn’t sure but before I made up my mind I had already been dragged in by Brittney, as if she knew that there was something there.
As we approached the swing I became terrified, the air smelled like death… now Brittney was pointing a gun at ME. “Are you really that stupid?” Brittney yelled at the top of her lungs.
“Oh god,” …... Poppy’s voice trailed off.
“I’m sorry it’s just what happens when you want to be at the top,” Brittney whimpered loudly.
“Why?,” Poppy screamed but before you could say paper trail tears were running down faces and blood was splattered all over the forest floor. Brittney walked away and acted like she knew nothing of Poppy’s disappearance.
I hope no one finds my paper trail.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!