Ocean War

I couldn’t see properly; my vision was blurred from the harsh wind and the salty spray. The salt from the water had made its way to my mouth; burning my throat and my lips. The sound was deafening, it was cold and it was dark. But I stayed. Something beneath the surface of the water kept me, drawing me in.
I did not need to see the finer details to see what was happening to the ocean.
Massive waves towered over me and the cliff I was standing on; water getting everywhere, soaking me, but still, I stayed. The water was a dark blue; it reminded me of twilight; when the sky was on the verge of night and day, as it swirled around the rocks at the base of the cliffs. As I watched this continuous pattern I began to feel the power of the ocean, the waves, and the water. I watched until the ocean was part of me, until I was part of the ocean…
A low ringing interrupted my thoughts. I swung around as a bright, white light swept over my body, blinding me. I flinched and looked away, just in time to see a large shape emerge from the fog that enveloped the rocks bordering the ocean; a ship. It was a huge passenger ship; thousands of shining lights covering it, but they were not nearly as strong as the one on top of the lighthouse. I began to run across the grassland above the cliffs. It was too late for the ship to turn back now; it was too close to the rocks.
Our town was known for its perilous shores; countless ships had crashed into the rocks, taking hundreds of people to their new home: the bottom of the ocean. But none of the boats were as large as this, and if this ship crashed thousands of people would die. I had to help them; I had to do to something.
As I ran the wind whipped my hair and the lowest branches of the trees ripped my dress, but I did not care. I had something else to do, something more important…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!