Samantha’s Story – The Great Flood

After a whole week of preparing, the rain is pouring. The flood is coming. We’ve been preparing for a week. All of our twenty horses were loaded onto trucks and they were taken to our Aunties place up in Brisbane. Since we live on a hill, me and Dad didn’t have to go anywhere, but my 6 year old twin sisters Belinda and Lucinda had gone to my Nan’s with my pregnant mum, and I nearly had to go too, except Dad said I would be a good hand if something went wrong.
So now I’m sitting next to the fire with my pup Josie on my knee and our guard dog Leah lying next to me. It has been raining for three days now and it hasn’t stopped.
The next day, it’s still raining. Dad told me he heard rain all night. Josie and Leah slept with me in my room last night. My jobs each day are -feed Dad’s work dogs, -feed the cats and -check on everything on the hill part of our farm.
I was really missing Mum, Belinda, and Lucinda. The e-mail was working, but the phone lines were down.

Hi Mum, Belinda and Lucinda,
I really miss you. Everything’s good here. How are you guys? I can’t wait to see you after the flood’s over. All the animals are good. Josie and Leah have been sleeping with me. I better get to bed. It’s still raining.
Love Sam
xxx
It’s raining again today. I do all my jobs and to lift my spirits, I decide to go inside and make cupcakes. Before I find the recipe, the computer dings. There must be a new email.



Hi Honey,
How are you? I miss you to the stars and back. I want you to be brave, okay. Look out for the rain.
I love you Honey,
Mum
Xxxx
Now I’m sad. I haven’ seen Mum for a whole month now. I go to the Kitchen to make my cake, but the sun is shining more than it has been for months! I run outside to Dad and the grin on his face is as wide as a crescent moon. Suddenly, I hear a car coming, so I run to the drive, where Mum’s car, followed by two trucks is driving up. When they stop, mum hops out of her car and literally runs to me, followed by Belinda and Lucinda, then Nan hops out of the car carrying a baby! Mum hugs me for what feels like ages and the twins join in too Suddenly, Mum gets hold of the baby and introduces me to my baby brother, - Benjamin. I get to hold him! I get to hold him! My dad races over and we all hug each other and talk and we all know one thing – We are grateful there wasn’t a flood after all!


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!