Rain

Blackcurrant was slurping the last of her pea pod soup as she told all of her family “I wish the sun would stop shinning because it’s too hot as well as it hurts my eyes” blackcurrant explained. “Same” every mouseling agreed. To surprise my little furry brain my mum and dad said “we all wish” I knew every other family of mice and hedgehogs wanted the sun. Strawberry jumped off her stick chair and went to slip her clothes on. All of my sisters and brothers and I pulled on our clothes after eating. Mine look like a pair of overalls with a light cream bonnet. My friend Liquorish brushed my fur. We all scurried out and mum explained “stay between the green hedge and the far pine meeting tree.”
We all shook our heads in agreement. I collect pine cones and shells for my room. I make wind chimes and collect berries as every other good mouseling does. But Red was very naughty and snuck out of the boundaries. He stole things so mum and dad decided that he had to go to a mouseling home.
I skipped along with Liquorish by my side. I found a pine cone, one which was as big as an average bush. Liquorish and I thought it was lucky so I wished “I wish I wish for it to rain. Bucket down so it would last us a lifetime and we mouselings could roll in it and bath”.
Liquorish and I rolled the huge pine cone back to our burrow. It was too big to fit in the burrow so we left it out the front.
As the evening rolled in everyone was commenting “Look how big. It must be a lucky cone!”
When everyone was ready for dinner and the berry pie was cut and served, the family were chatting and commenting about the huge pine cone.
The mouselings soon pulled their warm pyjamas on and rushed down to the fire with fern leaves as seats. Dad was always good at telling funny stories and songs. Mum is too. Now it is bed time we snuggled up in our table cloth doona. My bed is made out of seaweed and shells.
The next morning I hear lots of noise. I looked outside to see no cone but………IT WAS BUCKETING DOWN! It kept raining for years and every single night there was a feast.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!