Vignette



“Anna, look at the state of this blanket! It’s disgusting! I’m taking it home to wash it.” I was in shock. Blankie was something couldn’t live without. It was with me all the time, when I went out, when I went to ballet, when I went to sleep. That day when my Nanna took it away I was devastated. My stomach was turning; I had never been away from it that long. I couldn’t stop thinking about my Blankie. That night I was scared of the dark, I was convinced that there was someone in my cupboard and most of all I couldn’t sleep.

When the morning finally came I was overjoyed to finally get my Blankie back after an awful twenty four hours. I ran across the road over to my Nanna’s house to collect my most favourite thing in the whole entire world! I knocked on the door jumping with joy, but no one answered. I waited for a little bit longer but still, no one answered. I walked with my shoulders slouched, across the road back to my house. It felt like the longest walk I’ve ever had to take. I could feel tears welling up in my eyes. I was alone, without my blankie. I would just have to wait a little bit longer, but things are easier said than done.

I was waiting around all afternoon until finally I heard the door knock. There was my Nanna standing there. Mum invited her inside and they had a cup of tea together as they always did but all I wanted to ask her was ‘where is my blankie?’. When I finally got an input into their deep conversation I looked at her in the eye and said ‘Nanna have you got my blankie? Have you washed it yet?’. My nanna looked at me the same way my mum looked to me when she told me my guinea pigs had died. ‘Anna, I’m so sorry. Blankie fell apart in the wash. I had to throw it out!’. Tears welled up in my eyes and I ran to my room as fast as I could. I could believe it. How was I going to go to sleep? It was the only thing that made all my fears go away. I cried till I finally went to sleep. I was exhausted after an eventful day. I guess I would have to adjust to life without a ragged, ripped old blanket.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!