Water

Used air surged through my body, escaping through the cracks of my lips and burning nose. My chest was filled with agony, pleading for oxygen while bubbles clouded my vision. But to tell you my story properly, I have to go back to the start.
“No, mum” I shook my head angrily, “There’s no way in hell I’m trying swimming”
“Now, Hanna you – ” I cut her off abruptly by retreating upstairs to my room. Argh I hate her. I know how to swim already; she always wants everything to be perfect. Suddenly, a sharp knock interrupted my thoughts. “Hey, Hanna”, Cassie poked her head around the door “I heard your fight with mum” she ambled over to my bed and rested on my shoulder “And I think you should start the swimming program” she blurted out “You know, cause you have great upper body strength... ” She bit her lip. I glared at her “what’s wrong with this family I’ve said no a million times” I spat “No one listens to me” I cried, “I do” she said uneasily “That’s a load of crap. Get out” I shouted. Cassie recoiled at my reaction and ran out of the room. Maybe I was a little too hard on her. But I’ll show them that I can swim and it will make them feel so bad that they underestimated me. Like a 15 year old can’t swim. Just at that moment a brilliant plan popped into my head, I thought for a second and raced downstairs. There was a familiar scent wafting though the kitchen, chicken perhaps? My mother was setting out a bowl for Cassie and me. “Hanna, come eat some chicken that I’ve made” she offered meekly. I shook my head in dismay and went outside, as I stood on the edge of the pool’s ring that separated the water from the paving. I slid my bracelets and jewelry off my body and straightened up. I sucked in the fresh breeze and took a step forwards I hurled myself at the water. My arms flapped like birds as I tried to reach the surface. Used air surged through my body, escaping through the cracks of my lips and burning nose. My chest was filled with agony, pleading for oxygen while bubbles clouded my vision. Desperately I grabbed at the water hoping to find a way to escape. And suddenly I let go. My legs that were moving rapidly slowed to an uneven beat. Following, my arms turned to a soft float above my head. I was reduced to the last scraps of air that rushed to my heart. The last used bubble slipped out as I slowly fell back into the darkness.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!