The Bad Inventor

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

“Ahh,” screamed Johny in frustration as he tossed another invention plan into the bin. “I just can’t get it right. I need inspiration…I need an expert’s invention,” he said with a grin. “Who’s that inventor who lives around here, um, Billy. Um, Billy Tallis in Firebird Road,” he said after a long hard think. “I will steal an unfinished invention to make my own,” he chuckled.

“Here boy,” said Johny when evening came. “Here boy,” he repeated, “I knew I should have got a dog instead of a stupid penguin.” Then, from behind the cupboard appeared two webbed feet, chubby legs, a round black and white belly and a yellow beaked face. “Sorry Wilber, you really are a clever penguin. Now let’s prepare for a robbery that will make me famous,” he said with his chest puffed out.

Willber waddled down the street and found Firebird Road then Mr Tallis’ house. He waddled up to the window, peered inside and saw Mr Tallis asleep on the lounge. He jumped through the window and shuffled past Mr Tallis. It was a dark house, just the fireplace giving off a dim light. He found a room off the hallway that looked like a lab; it had plans, paperwork and computer parts everywhere. Willber waddled over to the section that read “Unfinished Inventions”. He pulled a sealed cylinder shaped tube labelled “Tasting Wallpaper.” He tucked it under his wing and wadded home. “I love it,” said Johny after a few licks. “Tomorrow I want you to go and steal another invention,” he said as he chucked Willber a treat.

The next night Willber waddled back to Billy’s house. He was fast asleep in a different room and Willber accidentally walked right into it. He quickly, but silently waddled out and found the lab. He plucked an invention out labelled “transforming phone”. “Cool,” squawked Willber in penguin language. “What could I transform it into…Ice block.” The phone immediately turned into an iceblock. He had a quick lick and waddled home.

“Yes ! Two inventions, with one more I could enter the exhibition,” said Jonhy gleefully. “Fetch me the paper,” he snapped at Willber who was taking his undercover suit off. Willber fetched it and Jonhy completed the entry form.

Willber went on his final mission. He jumped through the window and saw Billy asleep again! He plodded to the invention room but accidentally trod on a computer part and a siren sounded. Panicking, he grabbed something from the unfinished section and scurried away.

Willber had no idea what invention he held as he nervously handed it over.
Johny read the label, “Money tree seed.” As he was chuckling with glee there was a thunderous knock at the door that made them both jump. A tall thin man was at the door. He held up a badge, “Detective Billy Tallis”, Johny’s heart sank. “I tracked penguin’s footprints here,” said Billy.
“Um….Um” said Johny, as he dove out the window and bolted!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!