The Whispers

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

30th June 1911: It was a melancholy day. The winds howled atypically, the rain abruptly stopped and the clouds intercepted the sunlight from reaching out.

Mum and dad was taking me to see the new house, which apparently was meant to take 2 hours , but was delayed to 4 hours of tedious driving. I kept badgering mum and dad with the question ‘Are we there yet?’ They seemed queasy and annoyed, but excited to see our new house. So after, like a million years, we arrived.

I stared in disbelief. In front of me stood a massive, handsome mansion, which was landlocked with luscious fruit trees. We got out of the car and weaved through the labyrinth of trees til we reached the entrance. Every aspect of this architectural piece was designed to perfection, almost seeming enchanted and unreal to me.

I explored the interior of the house, eager to examine my new room. I opened my door to behold a colossal room, feeling impressed and overwhelmed. It was spacious even with my princess bed, my splendid wardrobe, a charcoal wooden study desk and my library of books placed neatly on the bookshelves.
28th July 1911: 4 weeks later, we’ve all settled in; the internet is working, the TV is finally repaired and I’m loving my room more and more. However it was until that afternoon, a miraculous serendipity occurred. While I was running through my books, there was a noticeable crease on the wallpaper, which in my surprise belonged to a bathroom.

When I entered, everything of me went cold, literally. There was a murky and obnoxious atmosphere, which made me feel uneasy. The bathroom was dark, with blood stains everywhere on the floor. My instincts immediately commanded me to report to my parents; but I froze when a soft whisper called out my name.

‘Hello.. dear child, you must be the next lucky one,’ that small, malevolent whisper hissed. I froze dead silent, petrified. ‘If you’re wondering who I am, I am the past. And you are the present…’ it added, ‘there’s a rumour, believe it or not, for a girl who showers in here shall not die, or shall not stay alive. But remain inside of me…’

I woke up finding myself on bed breathing heavily. The whisper reverberated in my head. I instantly issued my parents with what I just saw, but they reckon I had had a bad nightmare.

28th July 2111: So many years has passed, as today is the day I shall be set free at last.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!