Darkness

I dropped down the narrow hole and landed lightly on my feet. I looked around as my eyes adjusted to the darkness that surrounded me. Mica ran along the side of the walls, water rushed around me, the smell of the sewer grew stronger with the stench. Some water sprayed up the side wetting the very edge of my dress, forming a puddle around my feet.

“Emma, it’s alright, you can jump down.” I looked back up the small shaft of light.

My six year old sister looked down at me with fear in her eyes. She shook her head, her curls falling, framing her delicate face that was streaked with tears.

“I’ll catch you, I promise,” I whispered up to her.

Her small face relaxed a bit, but still portrayed fear. I became a little impatient. I could almost promise that they would realise we were gone and come for us. I beckoned; she crouched down on the edge, closed her eyes and dropped down. I caught her in my arms and lowered her gently. I took her small hand in mine and gave her a reassuring smile.

“Don’t panic, I will keep you safe,” I told her.

I slipped off my high heels, knowing they would be a bother for me to keep on. My dark hair had already slipped out of its neat braid and the beautiful dress I had put on this morning was torn to pieces. I began to run, pulling my sister along with me, the water sprayed up around us.

I heard them before I saw them. The dark creatures were catching up. Emma kept slightly tripping, struggling to keep up with me. I swept her up in my arms, pulling her close to me; her tiny hands grasped the front of my dress, her head buried into my chest.

They were catching up. I knew I wasn’t fast enough; carrying Emma was slowing me down.

One of them lunged, grabbing my ankle. My feet slipped and the concrete rushed up at me. My petite sister flew out of my arms. She slammed against the concrete wall; with a small scream she hit the wet ground with a slapping sound. She went limp and blood started to stain the water around her.

‘Emma!” I screamed.

I twisted around; the creature gripped my ankle tighter, and snapped it sideways. I bit my lip from screaming in pain. I kicked it as hard as I could in what I could only assume was a face. It yelped and let go of me. I dragged myself closer to my sister.

A hard object suddenly impacted with my head, harder this time. I could feel my vision fading out. I reached out shakily to my sister.

“Emma, I’m so sorry, I let you down. I couldn’t protect you,” I thought as my eyelids became heavy, dragging my eyes closed.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!