The First Day

The First Day
I wake up to the sound of an alarm and hear my sister saying, ‘Emelia wake up, it’s time to get up.’ So I eventually get up and get dressed, then my sister reminds me it’s my first day of high school (like I didn’t know). I hear my dad thumping around the kitchen. I don’t think he is fully awake. I think he is up early for my big day. I feel special. By this time it is 7:30am and I am packing my lunch into a lunch-box. My dad is awake now and so is my mum. They won’t get over the fact that I am in year seven. ‘Will you be okay, are you sure you don’t want me to drop you to school?’

The best thing ever happened to me when I was walking to school. I know this really funny guy (Finn, he’s my neighbour and crush), and he leaves his house at the same time I do. What a coincidence. I see him walking on the side of the road, so I cross the road and I speed up so I can get on his heels. Then he turns around and says, ‘Hey Emelia, what’s up?’ ‘Urgh, nothing much,’ I stutter. OMG he remembers me from one whole year ago! Wait. He must have just guessed my name. I don’t mind, he got it right. When we got to school he asked me if I wanted to go on a date with him. ‘YES!’ I squealed with joy.

Well, I wish that all of that had happened, but no. My dad insisted on driving me to school. I gave in and let him drive me to school. How embarrassing? I told him to drop me one block away. He said he didn’t want me walking. ‘It’s only a two minute walk; I think I can do it,’ I established. Anyway, he never pays any attention to what I have to say. He drops me right out the front of school, and then says, ‘Bye-bye, sweetie pie. I’ll see you at the end of school!’ At that humiliating moment Finn decides to turn up. ‘Oh damn,’ I say aloud.

Finn starts walking up to me and I’m sure he’s thinking how lame I am. ‘Don’t worry about it,’ he says instead. ‘My parents do it to me all the time. At least you don’t have your mum giving you a huge sloppy kiss on the cheek in front of all your friends.’ Then Finn and I start walking, and then we move onto laughing, and that turns into a date. I’m so happy I can’t remember a better time in my whole life. Finn really knows how to make a girl feel lucky. Next Monday I go to my first class and Finn is there. So he and I sit at the back of the class and figure out how to say ‘I love you’ in French.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!