The Possessed

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

So here I was, right where I didn’t want to be. This mansion had been abandoned for many years, there were stories about people that went in and never came out. I don’t believe in wives tales, at least not yet. I swallowed loudly, but it wasn’t like anyone could hear me. I felt scared. Where were they? Why hadn’t they come back? Why am I even here? I remembered the day’s events up until now.
“Alright, I dare you to run up and down the street, while screaming!” Shannan laughed as I challenged Brooke, like a professional she ran down the street screaming her lungs out. Shannan and I nearly fell on the pavement, our lungs gasping for more air. We saw Brooke turn around with a weird look on her face, our faces copied hers. Her eyes were wide and her lips were slightly open, like she was trying to speak and nothing was coming out. She blinked a few times and began walking up the rocky path which led to unknown territory. It wasn’t exactly unknown; it was haunted, so I chose to keep it unknown.
Why investigate what should be left alone?
“Brooke?” I called out, but she kept walking. I called her name again and ran after her, Shannan at my heel.
“What are you doing?” Shannan yelled, she reached Brooke first and spun her around, just as we were at the large creaky doors. I screamed as I saw the form Brooke was in. Her usual dark brown eyes had been traded for pair colourless orbs that looked into your soul.
Brooke opened her mouth about to talk, but all that came out was a trail of white smoke. Shannan went to grab onto her arm but was grabbed by Brooke instead and dragged away into the house. I stood there frozen with fear she disappeared. I never realised Brooke has such strength; I finally was able to move just as the large doors slammed in my face.
My lips quivered in fear and to add to it, it began to rain heavily. The clouds rubbed together and rumbled as they charged with electricity. This is where we are in present time, I’m still wondering why the hell I’m here. I grabbed onto the door handle and walked into the unknown.
It opened into a large dining area; an old table was all that remained in the centre of it. I looked down at my feet and frowned when I saw no footprints or marks.
‘They had been through here.’ I thought, I gasped as a cold presence wiped across my hand. I looked down with watery eyes and saw nothing. I suddenly felt a force shove at my body; I fell to the ground and hit the closed door. My eyes slowly falling closed, I let the pain overtake me.
“Come join us Alice.” Was the last thing I heard, before everlasting darkness took over.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!