A Cry For Help

A screaming cry rang out through the open grasslands of the Monga desert in the far south of Africa. The terrible cry coming from a dieing lion mixed with the sounds of her beloved cub being carried away. Corey ran toward the sound, the cry getting closer and closer with every stride. He ducked behind a tree just in time, as a heavy jeep came crashing through the scrub with the smell of death and disease following in a sickly waft. The moment the jeep was out of sight Corey leapt from his hiding place and continued on.
Corey stopped abruptly as he came to a clearing. On the far left corner he spotted it the creature it was breathing exceedingly heavily and snarling at him Corey called softly to the magnificent creature and his eyes met the lion’s gaze. Corey saw no resentment towards himself, only beauty and strength but also great sorrow and neediness. He called again but this time the Lioness seamed to understand that Corey was only there to help. The mighty beast purred in acceptance. Corey stepped vigilantly toward the stunning creature and placed a gentle hand over the wound on her thigh, she flinched at the unexpected movement Corey called again to calm her and she soon relaxed.
Corey called out into the open, he waited with the lioness until suddenly a man, followed by a small crowed of people emerged from the tranquil forest the lion lifted her head slightly and gave a half hearted growl in fear. Corey called to the lion until she calmed. They soon hoisted the lion up on to a stretcher and began to saunter off. She became agitated at the change in scenery until Corey calmed her once again.
Suddenly despite all the confusion Corey heard an eccentric noise, a faint but spine tingling cry. He located the position the cry was coming from, and headed to the spot. That was when he saw it; just an ear at first, then a tiny creature no bigger than a small boulder crept out from its sanctuary and blinked at the sudden rush of sunlight. Corey moved leisurely closer, as not to it, the lion cub hissed in disagreement at the oncoming stranger and backed off slowly. Corey called to the cub the way he called to all the animals and as usual the cub soon realized that he was only there to help. With a slight whimper the cub came towards him. Corey walked slowly over to a rock he sat down the cub still following established a spot in his lap. It was then that Corey noticed blood in his lap where the cub was lying. He looked down at the creature that was curled up in his lap. He had a deep gash on his hind leg; Corey called out to the group of people. A thin faced aboriginal girl walked over to where Corey was sitting. The girl was Mell one of the people who escaped from Dubbo zoo and transported the animals within to Africa for a better life. She examined the cub in Corey’s lap. They agreed to take him to his mother.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!