Have I Ever Told You That I Love You?

“Oh God. She’s dead.”
“No, he killed her, my God!”
“Look, he’s asleep!”
“No!”
“Look, he’s sleepwalking!”
“No! He killed her!”
“No…. she’s dead… he’s asleep… dead… sleep…”

“Have I ever told you that I love you?” He asked softly as they walked together down the row.
“Never.” She replied “But now tell me again.”
“I love you.” He repeated and he looked at her with a smile “How long is this green row?” He asked softly
“One mile.” She replied and he could smell the scent of mint on her gentle breath.
“Is that all?”
They walked in silence for a while, neither daring to break the sombre and yet beautiful quiet.
“You remind me of someone.” He commented after a little.
“Really? Who?” She asked curiously
“I’m not sure, someone from a dream I once had, but she was a monster and then crying and screaming… So I don’t know why I think you are alike. You are an angel.”
She looked scared for a moment, “Can you tell me about this dream?” She asked softly
“It was so dark.” He replied, “I was walking down a hall. I was alone but there was someone I had to protect, someone special.” He stopped
“Please, go on.” She said and her voice was like a breath of spring wind, they continued to walk, the green slipping away under their feet.
“There was a monster, maybe it was a dragon. It came down the hall towards me, roaring and breathing flames. I wanted to run. But I had to protect that special person… I drew a knife. I think it was a knife… I don’t know where it came from… but I stabbed the monster, anywhere I could reach…”
“What happened next?” She asked, grossly intrigued.
“And then it started to scream and bleed and I was happy because I had killed the monster” He said softly
Once again there was silence, a fearful silence, “How far now?” He asked softly
“Not far.” She replied
The row began to grow darker, or perhaps it was that the light at the end of the row grew brighter.
“What happened once you killed the monster?” She asked to break the gathering hush
Suddenly his chest became tight, “It changed, it wasn’t a monster anymore. No, I don’t remember. I don’t. Nothing. Only a dream. That’s all. I only remember a dream.”
She grew frightened, “It’s alright, only a little more now and then it will be alright.”
He looked at her with such trust “I believe you.” He said softly
She gave a sad smile.
The green began to fade away as the light became stronger, a chair appeared out of nowhere and she asked him to sit.
He sat down and she held his hand.
He looked up at her, “I love you.” He said softly and she squeezed his hand before letting him go.
The light flashed for him as it had for her and then it was all gone.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!