Saying Goodbye

Saying Goodbye
My shoulders were sore, aching and starting to feel numb. I carried the first big suitcase across the wide hot car park and suddenly realised the impact of where we were and what we had to do very soon.

After five trips back to the car collecting bags filled with clothes and all the important comfort food that would last a whole term, the car boot was empty and it was now time to unpack.

I knew everything would be alright but I couldn’t stop the nervous butterflies that had been living in my stomach for the past month. New smiling faces appeared around every corner, were they pretending to feel happy like me? We all knew this would be a good opportunity to meet new people, make new friends and share new experiences.

The holidays had gone by so quickly, steamy hot beach adventures, fishing, swimming and water skiing were sadly over. The eleven week school term had finally arrived after the busy Christmas break. Things would not be the same at home as it would be very quiet. Who would play with our little black Labrador Bill? Who cook delicious mouth-watering morning teas?

My family was extremely comforting and told me everything would be alright, we would stay in touch and talk every day. People assume that I will be strong with this whole new start. No one expects me to cry and I could not let my face show what I was feeling inside. I had to be brave and hide the tear that rolled down my cheek, maybe this was a good thing. We all have to move on and make the most of what the future holds.

I could not talk, a giant clot the size of a golf ball lingered in the back of my throat. My mouth was dry and I could feel the hot tears building up inside of me. It was time to say goodbye. I knew this moment was approaching but I was not quite ready to let go.

It was nearly time to leave, kisses and hugs were shared between everyone in our family and last minute details were exchanged. We walked slowly to the car and shared our final hug. I hopped in, put the car into drive and glanced in the rear vision mirror to see my daughter Charlotte waving and smiling so ready to start her new adventure at boarding school, while my emotions had to catch up with hers. I survived saying goodbye.

Name- Jane Conway
Age- 14
Address- “Coolibah” Wandoan QLD 4419
Grade level- 9
School- Fairholme College Toowoomba

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!